3 Great Soups/ No Broth Needed

Since store bought chicken broth always has MSG and we do not always have time or energy to make our own broth, I have 3 great soup recipes that do not require broth. Easy and delicious.

Quick Chicken Noodle Soup: 4 Portions

(you will need 1 c of cooked rice for soup and 2 ozs egg noodles cooked/ stored separately and 1 medium soup pot)

Saute in 1 and 1/2 oz butter for 7 minutes: 1/2 c thin sliced celery, 1/4 c diced shallot, 1/2 c thin sliced carrot and 1/2 of parsnip, diced.

Add: 1 and 1/2 qt water and bring to boil. Add: 1 lb chicken breast cut in small pieces, one cup cooked rice, 1 tsp dried tarragon and 1 tsp salt. Return to boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Then taste for salt.

Keep noodles separate, then heat and add with soup to bowls. Store separately or they will absorb all the liquid.

Serve with a nice green salad (Click here for dressings - at bottom of post)

Creamy and Quick Yellow Squash Soup: 4 Portions

In a medium soup pot, saute 1 chopped shallot.

Add: 3 chopped garlic cloves, 1/4 c chopped cilantro with stems and 1 tsp coriander. Cook for 3 minutes.

Add: 1 and 1/2 pounds yellow squash chopped, 1/4 c frozen corn kernels, 2 - 7inch carrots peeled and chopped, 1 tsp coarse salt and 2 1/2 c water. Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Puree with immersion hand blender or in food processor (1/2 at a time). Taste for salt. Reheat. Garnish with fresh cilantro.

Serve with Chicken Salad on Greens (For Curry Chicken Salad, mix: 2 T plain yogurt + 2 T mango ginger chutney (TJ) + 1 tsp curry powder + 2 tsp olive oil + 1/2 tsp salt. Then toss well with: 2 cups small diced cooked chicken breast (pan saute two breasts), 1 Gala or Braeburn apple (small chop), 1/2 c chopped mint and 2 T. goat cheese crumbled. Serve on soft greens)

If you are interested, I have one more soup recipe at my blog: www.vertigotalesandtastes.blogspot.com/ (click Vertigo Tales and Tastes: S G Recipes: 3 GREAT SOUPS/ NO BROTH

I’ve not tried any of the above though I’ve always known a good stock to be the making of any soup. Appreciating the MSG link it’s possible to create ones own homemade stock, most commonly chicken. However I understand in some countries (U.K. not included) it is possible to purchase MSG-free stock even ready made. I think Dr Teixido website mentions this.

Whilst responding to an autumn glut and preparing yet more Spicy Courgette (Zuccini) Soup recently I realised that, stock aside, my recipe was migraine diet friendly so here goes. Also it’s dairy-free and wheat-free.

1 lb (450g) courgettes, thinly sliced, no need to peel. In fact do not peel
12oz (350g) peeled and finely sliced or chopped potatoes
One medium onion peeled and finely chopped (I ‘process’ very fine - basically grated)
1.5-2 pints (less than one litre) stock or water, hot
8 oz tomatoes, fresh or canned if desired. Optional (I omit)
About one rounded teaspoon of ground turmeric
Salt and pepper

Method: Place all ingredients in large pan with lid and bring to boil then simmer til tender. Cool. Liquidise. Reheat before serving. Be careful with amount of liquid added. If lucky it will turn out nice and thick and creamy (despite no diary) Can add more liquid before serving if desired.

Same recipe would also work with sweet (bell) peppers. Yellow ones for preference or other veg. Raw or previously roasted. Leeks maybe or sweet potatoes.

We have some nice bone broth in Australia. I use it when I am too lazy to make my own. Here is a link:

https://au.gevityrx.com/products/natural-bone-broth-body-glue

1 Like

Great. Pleased there is enlightenment in Australia. Not so lucky here in U.K. We even lost the one brand of stock cube any good that was MSG free. About five minutes after I discovered it or so it seemed at the time.

1 Like

What about this one - it seems to be available in the UK? And the beef bones are from Australia and New Zealand: https://uk.bestbonebroth.com/collections/original-beef/products/beef-bone-broth-plain-beef-flavour-375g-bottle-37-servings

1 Like