Any try Melatonin as a preventative for migraines?

My Neurologist recommended this while i was for an appointment. I have been experiencing some mild headaches, insomnia, and really bad unsteadiness, disequilibrium.

Sorry, just to clarify, are you experiencing those symptoms as a result of the melatonin? Or are you trying melatonin because of those symptoms?

The reason I’m asking is because melatonin was recommended to me by a friend to help with the insomnia my migraine meds (effexor) is causing. I’m yet to try it though.

No i was recommended to try it out while I wait for a neurologist appointment. I just tried it for the first time about an hour ago. I will update how it goes! Supposed to be as good as a preventative as amitriptyline. There was a study done on it recently

Please do let us know how you go. Very interested to hear.

Me too! I also read that… 3mg a night is supposed to be a very good migraine preventive . I may add this to CoQ10 and magnesium glycinate but those two work great for the most part if I avoid too much caffeine and dairy. Xx

My neurotologist also recommended Melatonin. However, I’d been taking about 5mg of it each night for years before that to help me fall asleep – long before I had (or was really aware of) any migraine symptoms. I got into the habit from my wife, who takes a long time to fall asleep. It definitely helps me fall asleep quicker (occasionally I’ll take a second for a total of 10mg), but I can’t say that it has helped me at all in terms of my migraine symptoms. Also, I’m a really light sleeper, and it doesn’t help me get a deeper sleep. It just brings on sleepiness quicker. I hope it helps you more than it helps me though.

@liv85 do you take Vitamin B as well as magnesium and CoQ-10? I take all three right now but I’m not sure if the Vitamin B does anything…

I wonder if you can use melatonin with Amitriptyline and Topamax. I’ve been having problems with waking up in the middle of the night and having mini spins. Maybe this could help!