Do you worry about your eyes?

I find myself wondering a lot about my eyes . . .This is what I have come up with but I would love other suggestions.
Vertigo can result, for me, from right-left or up-down eye movements and lengthy focusing on small print or objects; especially if I drop my gaze. This is more evident when I have been under stress (fatigue, too many activities, out in the sun too long, too much exercise, etc). The hours of repetitive eye movements needed for reading, computer work and other close range tasks leads to eyestrain for many people and will then advance to Vertigo and headaches for those of us on the Migraine continuum. For me, it is made worse when my eyes are dry (from sitting in AC or in front of a fan) and when there is too much glare or bright light (photophobia). Many people suffer fatigue and sore eyes and blurriness from this kind of assault on their eyes, but we travel the road farther to headaches and vertigo.

So - dry eyes, sensitivity to prolonged glare, eye muscle fatigue and visual disturbances are symptoms shared by the general public. It would then seem true that what helps others to reduce those problems might help me with my resultant vertigo. I have begun a program (four days at this point) to reduce these assaults that help lead to my disabling symptoms. It’s working. It has made me realize how big a deal eye motion and light are for me. And once again I will say that we are no longer carefree.

EYES AT WORK My eyes are very dry now. It is summer, I sit in front of a fan at home or in Ac while working. All the stores have the AC set very cold.

I have begun using my Systane Lubricant Eye Drops twice a day instead of once (6 AM and 4 PM) and I try to blink more often.

I set the brightness on my computer screen at 70%.
I put a cold compress on my eyes twice a day for 5 minutes.
I do the 20-20-20 exercise: every 20 minutes focus on something 20 feet away for 20 seconds. I need to keep a timer near by since 20 minutes just flies by. And, to be honest, I do not really do this every 20 minutes.

I keep my head up - never drop head and gaze repetitively left to right. It helps to keep my chin in my left hand, elbow on the desk.
I take more breaks from the computer. When possible, I make a hard copy and read it in another room, away from the computer.

I wear a cute visor to block overhead light. (On walks outside I wear a sombrero hat)

Stop often to drink water (8 glasses a day) to increase hydration.

EATING FOR EYE HEALTH

Every day I eat foods high in vitamins to increase nerve and muscle health of eyes. It can’t hurt.

Lycopene: There is controversy here since the foods with lycopene also are high in Vitamin C. Vitamin C has the science behind it, not lycopene. Tomatoes are the highest source, as well as watermelon and red pepper.

Vitamin C: 1/2 cup twice a week from oranges or grapefruits. Also, broccoli, kale, spinach, fresh bell peppers, berries, green vegetables, tomatoes, kiwi and parsley.
(Click Here for more foods high in Vitamin C)

Vitamin A: Carrots/carrot juice (yum), spinach, fish, yams, cantaloupe, green and yellow vegetables and fruits and apricots. (Click Here for more information on Vitamin A from the National Library of Medicine)

The B Vitamins play a significant role in eye health. Please read the list from “Livestrong” of each B vitamin and what it affects. Note B1 (Thiamine) helps nystagmus, and B2 helps weak eye muscles. Very interesting. (Click Here for B vitamins and eyes)

EYES AT HOME I try to rest my eyes at night.

Listen to Audiobooks: $14 per month for Audible.com membership or you can download books from the public library for much less.

Listen to music: On my phone, on YouTube or on the radio.
Record talk shows, especially late night ones, and “listen” in the evening.

Listen to Pod Casts such as NPR (Ted Talks, et al) or many to choose on YouTube (Click Here to hear David Buchholz on "Healing Your Headache)

There are “Sight Saver” books that have a little larger print and darker ink. My main library has a whole section of them. You can also buy them but they are a little more expensive. Check Barnes and Noble and Large Print Books: Novels & Non-Fiction by Thorndike Press. I still have to wear my reading glasses but my eyes last much longer with bigger/darker print.

Also, I purchased a Rigid Page Magnifier (8 x 10) by UltraOptix at Barnes and Noble for $8.00. I also got a 2 x 3" one ($2.50) for my purse, to read small labels at the market, etc. Both are lightweight and distortion free. The page one makes reading the newspaper and hardbound books so much easier. I want to get one half the size for paperback books but I will have to order it since B & N did not carry it in stock. The large one is also great for reading hard copy of things at work. You do have to hold it about 2 inches above written text but it is lightweight.

Exercise at home: www.fitnessblender.com (choose your program for free)
www.Youtube.com (such as Jane Fonda “Walking Cardio”
www.sixpackshortcuts.com (free on YouTube)
And there are many more…

Take a 30 minute walk after dinner.

Make fresh salad dressings - they will last for a month and they will be delicious over salads made with eye-health foods.

Susie’s Tarragon Dressing

3 Tb clear white vinegar
2 Tb apple cider vinegar (Tr Joe’s has no sulfites and this small amount of cider vinegar should not be a problem)
6 Tb olive oil
6 Tb canola or safflower oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp hot/sweet mustard
3 tsp dried tarragon
1 (1/4 ") slice of shallot
1-2 pinches of sugar, if needed
Whisk all together and add shallot. Let sit 15 minutes.

Basic Italian (Adapted from Bon Appetit)

6 Tb olive oil
2 Tb clear vinegar
2 Tb fine-chopped parsley
1 Tb lemon juice
2 minced garlic cloves
1 tsp dried basil
pinch oregano
1/4 tsp salt
Whisk all together and let sit for 20 minutes or longer.

Vinaigrette (for green salads with sliced apple or pear and crumbled fresh cheese)
1/4 c olive oil
2 Tb clear vinegar
1 Tb honey
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/8 tsp salt
1 pinch sugar
Whisk all together and adjust seasoning.

I would like some other thoughts. Spinning Girl (www.vertigotalesandtastes.blogspot.com)

I do try to lesson eye strain with brighter ambient lighting and monitor turned don. But not the extant of diet and compresses. I have medium eyesight in day and excellent night vision. I am vulnerable to srtobing and bight flash becuase head injury

Thanks for sharing. Sorry about your head injury. It has helped me to be more vigilant about reducing eye fatigue and eye motion and keeping all the triggers down. But some days it is very difficult to do the right thing all day. Good luck to you.

It sounds to me like you have eye tracking abnormalities & neurological sensitivities on the migraine spectrum. Have you had a VNG? I was diagnosed w/eye tracking abnormalities by VNG & I’m currently on medication that helps reduce the symptoms. I also have other neurological triggers on the migraine spectrum such as fluorescent lighting. You can have visual therapy for the tracking issues. I have not had that because I don’t feel I’m at the level but based on what you describe I thought I would toss this out there.

Thank you. I am not sure what VNG is - my doctor never mentioned it. I will look it up. Some days my eye muscles just seem to fatigue. My eyes are sore if I have a very busy day and have overdone using them. Our prolonged, hot, very bright summer this year in California has not helped. Also, reading books with larger and darker print has helped. They are called “Sight Savers” and they work. And of course visual/strain problems may have nothing to do with migraine. Maybe I would have had those issues anyway. Nothing here is very scientific. It may be coincidental. (www.vertigotalesandtastes.blogspot.com)

You have to wear goggles & they put you in a dark room & a computer tracks your eye movements as you look at dots & stripes. I almost threw up. It was the worst test I’ve ever had.

Thanks. I think I will skip that one. I will keep trying not to overdo with my eyes. I have been able to keep off any meds for 10 months and no severe vertigo so that’s the good news. www.vertigotalesandtastes.blogspot.com