Last post for now: combos of drugs?

Hi guys…I am thinking that I may have more success in controlling my mav if I combine both nort at a low dose so I am not having sx hopefully and then gaba at the dose that helps me. Both have helped me in different ways. Do any of you have experience in having more success in mixing two drugs like that? They seem safe to combine according to literature I’ve read about post-herpetic neuralgia, and indeed both together are sometimes clinically more helpful. Any thoughts if you’ve had combos of drugs work well would be much appreciated. xx

Hi Liv,

I haven’t been able to get on a 2nd drug successfully but many many people take combos and they work great. There is one person on this forum that was on Nort and Gaba both (at much higher doses than you) and she loved it. Look up Muppo.

Others were on Nort and Zoloft as well as Pizotifen and Amitriptyline, Gaba and Amitr. etc… It is very commonly done with good results.

I hope it works for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much, Asli!!! I will check out Muppo’s posting about this combo… Not cured yet! xx

hi you, I hope you feel better soon too, Asli! The good news is that everyone seems to move on from the forum from the past mostly so it does show it just takes time to find the right thing. I had a friend not on the forum w/ MAV who was cured by 30mg/nort but I can’t go that high because I’m sensitive, so yes I’m trying these combos to see if that’ll work magic. Seeing my neurologist to discuss this Monday. It’s been months since i’ve seen him. I am also trying to pinpoint what happened this week to get my migraine so intense - it happened it seem overnight after I ate something like a supplement with MSG in it or something. I thought it was 2 bananas I’d scarfed down after a workout that caused it, and maybe, but this is so much more intense eye and left head pain than bananas usually cause… I suspect it was some curcumin supplements I’d eaten with MSG in the gelatin coatings. Dunno!! xx

PS Now I see the thread you are referring to - I see she was at higher doses. Maybe I can see how I do on the 2 together at low doses and go higher if need be! I’m so sensitive… gah! Nortriptyline concern - VM/MAV - mvertigo.org vestibular disorders support forum

Nort at 10mg and gaba at only 100mg 3x a day today seem to be killing the migraine. I will continue this regime and see if Need to go higher. Gaba is really nice, Asli, if you want to give it a try in combo - you said you hadn’t tried gaba yet? Start really low on it as an add-on perhaps with your current dose of nort. I think Muppo is right. xxx

Hi Liv.

Thank you so much for thinking of me. I have my GABA prescription filled, waiting in the cupboard! I’m trying to sort out my neck, which is my main issue, before I try GABA since I seem to have such awful reactions to meds and consequently, have big setbacks.

I hope you hit the magic combo already :wink: .

You’ll love the gabapentin, Asli!! Honestly, don’t be afraid of it. It was the one drug that was like taking a sugar pill for me:) It just makes you feel a little more relaxed/sleepy, but maybe everyones different! (obvi) :slight_smile: It has really helped “kill off” the underlying MAV - basically overexcitable nerves in my head I guess - and the nort. also helps prevent anything from becoming a full blown migraine. Today they did WONDERS after I had a huge migraine this morning when I woke up (probably from the dumb supplements I ate the night prior - turmeric and stuff that had capsules maybe with MSG since they were gelatin) - and both together at the lowest doses (10mg nort. plus 100mg 3x a day of the gabapentin) killed it off completely. I feel honestly the best that I have in three years on this combo right now at the lowest doses. Just typing this I am not sensitive to my laptop screen or dizzy due to the light behind me, like I’d normally be. I feel a tiny bit of head sensations but nothing weird. My neck too gave me a problem at one point but I think once you get the MAV more under control your whole body will relax a lot. The magnesium glycinate helped with my neck too perhaps… Try the gabapentin though at the lowest dose first - I could not ever go higher than 200mg 3x a day without getting woozy so I"m one of those people who responds very much to the smallest doses I guess. Fingers crossed I’ll wake up feeling fine still :slight_smile: and that this will continue on these together. I see my neuro on Monday so I’d like to report I’m doing OK to him and see if we can continue this plan of attack. xxx