Mav & bppv poll

How many of you have MAV and BPPV? I know they are separate conditions but I have read that they sometimes go hand in hand so was wondering how many of you have both?

Thanks

@sarbear I was diagnosed with bppv Nov 2015. Five treatments with physio therapist (epley maneuver) - very successful. Two days later started experiencing what I believe is MAV (three months now), but my doctor had not heard of it. Currently, trying to eliminate food triggers while I wait for MRI appointment, and possible referral to ENT. Good days and bad days, starting to lean more towards good days if I am really careful about exertion and diet. I have had a bit of massage therapy (only 15 minutes at a time lying on my side). Also, have a chiropractor who does not do ā€˜crackingā€™ but rather neurological pressure points (no needles either). Great breathing exercises too. Itā€™s irritating, but I am sort of seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck - I hope you are getting some help and relief.

Christine,
Sorry you are in this, too. Can you tell me a bit about what the chiropractor does? Which points and which modality?
Did he say anything about you being out of alignment in your cervical spine?

Hi there, I believe the practice is called neuro optimization. Not sure about which points? I initially went to address a progressing hump in my upper back/neck (family history) but itā€™s in better shape. Mostly go for maintenance. Does that help?

Hi Christine.

Thank you for your fast response - do you think itā€™s helping, the Neuro optimization? Have you felt any improvement from it? Thanks a lot again :).

It helps in a very general way, with overall health. I canā€™t honestly say if itā€™s helped specifically with the migraines, but definitely helps release muscle tension in my upper back and neck, and encourages deep breathing. What I am finding very helpful is eliminating triggers. For me, itā€™s exertion, red wine, chocolate, old cheeses, nuts, citrus and especially MSG and aspartame.

Thank you, thatā€™s helpful. My neck and upper back muscles are so tight and spasming a lot. Maybe Iā€™ll try it.
I hope you keep improving.

I have both

I have both as well. I just started physical therapy three weeks ago, along with having a few tests. My BPPV was so bad, only made it through half of the tests. However, the physical therapy did calm the BPPV. I was originally misdiagnosed as MM by two previous ENTs, but I donā€™t have the hearing loss or fluid issues that are classic. Iā€™ve had tinnitus in both ears and motion sickness all my life (42 yrs). Iā€™m hoping that this new doctor can guide me and help me to feel better, and I really hope without too many meds. The older I get, the more difficult it is to lead a normal life with the daily dizziness/motion sickness and once a month or so vertigo.

I do. I was diagnosed with BPPV when I was 31. It only lasts a few minutes and I need to sit very still after it happens. Iā€™ve only had it happen a few times since that initial diagnosis. I am now 42 and during the fall of 2014, I was treated for a constant headache that started after having an episode of BPPV. The horrible vertigo only lasted a few minutes (although I felt semi dizzy for a day or so). Finally, in early 2015, after several medications, I went to a neurologist who said what I was experiencing was MAV. Have been taking propranolol and no headaches since early 2015. Also, no episodes of BPPVā€¦

Since BPPV involves calcium crystals in the ear being dislodged from their proper place and since Magnesium seems to help with Migraines, (Magnesium helps absorb calcium), I do believe there is a relationship between calcium and migraines and or MAV.

I think thatā€™s a unsafe assumption to make. imho they are definitely not separate conditions for most MAVers, based simply on the fact that many of us here had ā€œMAVā€ or ā€œVMā€ onset with ā€œBPPVā€ in quick tow, so itā€™s logical to me they are part and parcel of the same overall issue and simply ā€œBPPVā€ is one of many symptoms.

Remember, a diagnosis is not an aetiology, itā€™s usually just a mapping of an umbrella title to a list of symptoms or measurements (and with vestibular medicine, often just a subjective description from the patient).

We donā€™t even know for sure the underlying mechanisms of VM/MAV and Iā€™m sure there is a universal explanation that will be found one day but that eludes medicine right now. I would definitely place bets though ā€¦

btw, if you want to run a real poll, use the poll feature of the forum.

i think they meant separate diagnoses, but also isnā€™t this post from 2016?

Yes I think I meant you can have one without the other. Hard to remember as I wrote it 7 years ago :joy:

1 Like

Iā€™d lay bets most people with MAV or VM could satisfy the criteria for BPPV for long phases of their condition.

In fact I can shorten the odds:

I had ā€œBPPVā€ like positional vertigo for years then one day it simply didnā€™t happen again.

The whole BPPV hypothesis is very suss (link requires TL2) as Iā€™ve written elsewhere and wonā€™t return to here.