MAV seems to have really gotten better just from magnesium

@Jess09: yes, from the very beginning I took 2 capsules in the morning and 2 in the evening. Nowadays, I usually take only 2 in the morning unless I had a rough day or I have something strenous to do later in the evening.

I could very well imagine that 1 capsule only every other day doesnā€™t have much effect. And I find it strange that youā€™re suffering from stomach problmes from Migravent. Do you have a weak stomach otherwise as well ? See, magnesium is very popular with athletes particuarly runners. And the only known side effectf from it is possible diarrhea or rather, it has a laxative effect. A close friend of mine is running marathon and he takes heaps of magnesium and he says you have to be careful because of the possible laxative effect, but thatā€™s about all. Have you seen a gastro enterologist yet ?

Generally speaking I agree with the doctors that the best shot you have is to try different medications and see if it helps or not. But pushing it until the doormat of the ER, thatā€™s a bit hard.

Those travel gums contain dimenhyrinate and help against motion sickness from traveling by boat, airplane or car. In the US they are branded as ā€œDramamineā€ and should be availabe over the counter.

What you can try as well is an anti histamine, I personally prefer ā€œCeterizineā€, in the US branded ā€œZyrtecā€ and ā€œReactineā€.

Do you experience the swaying only when walking or also when riding a bicycle or when swimming or other activities ?

Best regards
Frank

Hi there. Just butting in here! Are you in the UK? I get B2 easily on its own at a health food shop. I also happen to take a B complex as apparently they all work together. However, the recommended dose for b2 for migraine is 400 mg, which is loads compared to the normal RDA, so you wouldnā€™t find that dose in a B complex vitamin. I also take magnesium but not the butterbur or CoQ 10. It did all play with my stomach for a while but that settled.

Iā€™m in Germany and just couldnā€™t find any B2 single supplement. But Iā€™m ok with the Migravent. It is totally overpriced for the ingredients that are in there, but it works for me so itā€™s very well worth it.

@Frank183 Well the goal is to eventually get me to 2 capsules a day, even 3. I donā€™t see 3 happening but who knows. Iā€™ve had MAV for 5 and a half years now and didnā€™t have any notable stomach issues until this last year, really since February. The doctors started trying to taper me off of a med and then I started to have symptoms of an ulcer, was treated as such for weeks, got an endoscopy to find out everything was normal. They thought it was from the increased anxiety of tapering off the med. But, my stomach hasnā€™t been the same since. I lost 25 pounds, still donā€™t eat as much or the same variety that I used to. It seems like some part of my body reacts to every medicine (even OTC cold meds) that I try. I wasnā€™t expecting such an odd reaction to this but it doesnā€™t surprise me that something happened. I saw a GI doctor back in March with the ulcer symptoms.

I used to use Dramamine for long car rides or airplane travel and it worked great. Since then I was given prescription Meclazine when the dizziness first started, which is the anti-vertigo ingredient in Dramamine, and it worked for a while but then stopped helping. I tried it once a year ago and it just made me more tired and dizzier.

I tried Claritin, which is the antihistimine Lorditine, and multiple times it has made me fuzzy headed in the morning. Nothing too awful but I recently had a cold where it made the dizziness and fuzzy head feeling persist much day and feel much worse. Itā€™s not really the medicine for me, but I can tolerate it every now and then.

I experience 24/7 off balance and dizziness, feelings of spinning, leaning to the side, rocking, itā€™s nasty. I really canā€™t do many activities at all. I can get out for a daily walk most days, all with help, but I am extremely off balance just trying to move around my apartment throughout the day. Iā€™m pretty much sofa bound.

Thanks for the help! I will probably give the Migravent another try, and I do see the neurologist again next week. I may try the ingredients individually so I can still get most of the benefits if thereā€™s only one thatā€™s upsetting my stomach.

@Scottl how many weeks did it take for your stomach to settle from all the supplement changes?

@Jess09: what I find really odd about it is that we are talking about capsules. Compared to pills they are meant to pass the stomach and only release the ingredients in the colon. So, itā€™s actually meant to save the stomach from any reactions and itā€™s striking me why you are experiencing stomach problems with this. Did you try to avoid hot drinks (e.g.tea) or hot meals half an hour before and after taking the capsules ? The heat can dissolve the capsules and release the ingredients early into the stomach.

So sorry to hear about your condition. Iā€™m doing better those days, but certainly havenā€™t forgotten how it was in the worst days.

What medication are you currently taking daily ? Including those that arenā€™t meant against vertigo, e.g. meds for blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. ?

Best regards
Frank

I think two or three weeks. Hope you feel better soon.

hey guys, iā€™m just back to check in. Iā€™m doing really well by cutting down my magnesium glycinate to 400mg taken in the morning (KAL brand of the mag, they are hard white capsules, but big so you need to be careful to swallow them with lots of water) with 380mg of feverfew 2x a day (GNC brand of standardized capsule). I then take one of those feverfew capsule s in the morning around 8am and another one around 6pm. Seems to work really well. I just have to stay away from too much tyramine and mostly that pertains to alcoholic beverages, too much caffeine, and MSG in all its hidden forms. I hope you all feel better soon! This combo has worked better for me than any meds. Best, Liv

1 Like

@Frank183 Well the form of MIgravent I have is a liquid gel cap, not the kind with the powder in it. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s different from what youā€™re talking about or not. I was chatting with my physical therapist (going to PT for incredibly tight neck muscles due to the dizziness) about my reaction and he seemed to also think, as I do, that it was some type of allergic reaction. He helped me realize I should wait to take the supplement again until I talk to my neurologist about the reaction and what happened. Since I had that itchy throat for 1.5 hrs after I took the supplement, thereā€™s no sense in messing around with that and potentially having a worse reaction the 2nd time. I could always try to take the ingredients separately, as I think the CoQ10, Vitamin B2, and maybe even Magnesium would be very beneficial for me.

I took the supplement with dinner as directed by my neurologist. I rarely drink hot drinks and didnā€™t have any that entire day or probably week. Dinner was warm, but like I said no powder was involved. I didnā€™t realize hot meals could affect when itā€™s released, thatā€™s interesting.

Yes Iā€™ve had these worse days since January now, I am definitely ready to feel even just functional again. Iā€™m really not on many other medications. An early neurologist I saw put me on Xanax for the dizziness as he said it would lessen the dizziness. It worked well for me for 3 to 4 years but now doesnā€™t work as much. I now know itā€™s not a med meant for long term use but he didnā€™t tell me that at the time. Iā€™m on a low dose of Gabapentin at night to help with anxiety from all this mess and sleep I suppose.

@Scottl thanks, good to hear itā€™s not too long!

@Frank183 I meant ā€œsoft gelā€ not liquid gel, I donā€™t know if thereā€™s a difference, but ā€œsoft gelā€

@Jess09, just to be clear: medications that can upset the stomach are put into capsules (hard of soft doesnā€™t matter) for the very reason that they pass the stomach into the colon remaining intact. They are meant to dissolve in the colon and release the ingredients only there and not in the stomach. The capsules melt from heat, so if you have anything ā€œhotā€ in your stomach at the same time, the capsule might dissolve early and release the ingredients already in the stomach and might upset the stomach, I hope you get the idea.

Best regards
Frank

@Frank183 yes thanks I understand.

Is magnesium still working for you?

How long did it take before you noticed results with the migravent?