Night spins

Well that was fun. This particular symptom has gone. I had it for ~3 weeks and now rolling over to side in the mornings has no longer given me the spins for two mornings in succession. I did not do anything special just lived. Just highlights how the symptoms of this thing morph with time. Note however I did keep up my running and walking routines so perhaps exercise helped? Who knows … perhaps it’ll come back?!

1 Like

Yay good for you! How did you get rid of yours so fast?

Absolutely no idea! And btw, my unsteadiness is a bit better too, suspect it was related.

1 Like

Rupes, couldn’t reproduce these in neuro’s office as only occurred after having laid down for hours e.g. In the morning. Once I’d been up for a while the issue went away only to reoccur the next morning. As reported I’m now free of this symptom for time being, even in the morning.

Just an update on this: they’ve come back. Some mornings they aren’t there but when they are it’s always present when I turn to either side. No effect on hearing so seems straightforward BPPV. (I have persistent if variable tinnitus but doesn’t fluctuate during these manouvres)

My latest theory on this is that it’s air in the canals. When I get up in the morning I have a sensation of air bubbles or fluid dripping in my ear as if past a partial blockage. If later in the day I repeat the same manoeuvre that gave me spins in the morning I am unable to repeat it. If you think about it, if you took the fluid away the little sensory hairs would be pulled by the rocks because of gravity instead of the little rocks being suspended and you would feel a spinning. I’m wondering if lying down for ages allows some trapped air to settle in a chamber. Later when you get up the air moves up and away (hence the dripping sensation/sound) and once again things work normally. Just a thought. A trick might be to sleep always at a less horizontal angle. Question is: how is/did the air getting in?? a fistula?? If this heals how long for air bubbles to dissipate - hours/weeks/months/years??

Lee, any improvement of this symptom for you? I still get it if not every morning but it alarms me less now.

It may be just me imagining it but if I let myself spin on my good ear its almost like I feel better during the day, like I’ve improved the liquid level in my ear or something.

Hi James! For me the night spins are getting less and less after months of them each and every night. But I wish I could get rid of the feeling of my head not being right. Does your head feel " crystal clear". This is uncomfortable for me. I’m hoping the Botox will help with this. I’m still waiting for insurance approval for this. Any “next steps” for you?

Oh that’s progress. For me it’s wait it out. I’m still confident we’ll lick this. I too have felt I’m genuinely improving but it’s very slow. I’ve noticed I get less affected by artificial lights and I have recently been less dizzy, almost back to normal (though part of that is with medical help!). Luckily, I’ve not had a fogged head.

1 Like

Has anyone got a good explanation of these night spins from their doctor? What distinguishes them from Menieres spin attacks? I worry they’d feel much more like a Menieres attack if I wasn’t on a vestibular suppressant that makes the attack feel less violent whereas in reality it is?

I guess mine lack significant hearing impact (though in morning my bad ear feels duller), no unusual tinnitus and I can stop the attack by repositioning. But otherwise I worry they are something to do with Hydrops ?!

Oh. Another thing. I wonder if you can reduce these spins by lying down at lunchtime for a couple of hours moving side to side. My current theory is you are unblocking your pressurised blocked ear at night when laid down and the more you lie down ultimately the better. That’s not to say you should be sedentary. I believe exercise is very positive for this condition. The longer you stand up in a single session the higher the pressure builds up? I almost never have an attack sitting or standing. Might also explain why you pay for a late night. Worth a try? Great excuse to take it easy! :wink:

Set your tablet screen to lock and read or play a game?