Nortripyline Side Affects

Hi All,

Ive just upped my 10mg dose of Nortriptyline to 20mg and my head now has a banging head ache.

I woke in the night like my head got hit wit a hammer got up about 8am took paracetamol and managed to doze on the sofa until 11.30am. I’m feeling awful.

is this normal and how long will it last…HELP!

Hi Kay,

sorry you are going through this. Yes, it can happen as a side effect. Then, either it will go away over the course of days or weeks and you will be able to up the dose if you still aren’t well. OR, it will not go away and will only get worse the longer you stay on Nort. - then you know this drug is not for you. (the latter happened to me with Propranolol and Zoloft - everything just kept getting worse while I was on them.

If I were to guess, though, I’d say the first scenario is more likely - that it’s a side effect that’ll wear off over time.

Try to hang in there for a week or two :slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply, I m feeling a little better now after an awful day. I will keep at it.

I hope it works for you at the end :slight_smile:

Hi Kay - So sorry you are in pain. I had great luck on Nortriptyline but I do not get headaches - just all the other neurological symptoms in force. I start on 25mgs, then 50, then 25, then 10 for a total of 12 weeks. For me, I need 25 mgs for 5 days before it kicks in. Side effects will be dry mouth, constipation and fatigue in the AM. My doctor says to take the night dose early to reduce a.m. fatigue. Also, taking magnesium helps constipation and is on the suggested list for MAV patients. Also, eat lots of veggies and salads at dinner. Drink lots of water. Hang in there. I was strictly on the migraine diet and I try to avoid as many avoidable triggers as I can. It took me three years to recognize all of them. Gook luck. Sorry we are no longer carefree. (www.vertigotalesandtastes.blogspot.com)