Starting Amitriptyline, what can I expect?

Hi Frank and Jess,

Just sent Jess a message - definitely try to take Gabapentin at 3 daily doses, I think. I’m staying at 300mg (100mg 3x a day spaced out in 7-8 hr intervals) for another week before seeing if I want to go up to 200mg 3x a day. My neurologist told me to go slow but let him know if a level really helped. Gabapentin apparently can be tolerated at very high doses but I want to stay as low as possible and get enough help from it.

The half life of Gaba (unlike amitriptyline and nortriptyline) is just too short for you to get it stable in your system at 1 nightly dose at 100mg. You need to keep it a constant level in your bloodstream I think to have it dampen the nerve-firing that is the central reason for this bouncing sensation with MAV (I think!) - it’s just that the nerves are too sensitive or something (permanent migraine state)

Frank, regarding your question about mental state effects - yeah that was a huge reason I could not do some drugs (Topamax), but nortriptyline you should not worry about I don’t think (or amitriptyline, it’s cousin). The anti-depressant and sedating effects are actually nice with those two drugs w/ MAV - it helps calm you down! However, I was one of those unlucky people who had a racing heartbeat on it. That said - the first week I felt a bit more nervous on it but then it started to work for me - but then I found out my heart was going to fast. However, again everyone is different and I cannot say what you will experience. Just try to stay calm and remember these drugs can help you!! that’s the main thing. You are taking a step towards recovery in trailing any drugs at all. You have to see what works best for you. Some people luck out with finding their drug right away, for me it took three attempts and I’m still just crossing my fingers that Gaba will work out.

I don’t know what migraine doctors don’t prescribe Gaba 1st though - maybe because it requires more daily doses. It’s super cheap (I take the generic) and has no mental side effects that I can tell - just a little bit sleepier than usual but totally functional at this dose and relaxed. I just feel back to my more normal self because I am less dizzy and less sensitive to all typical triggers that would set off my vertigo/rocking sensations - mostly fluorescents. It’s almost so side effect free right now that it feels like I’m eating sugar pills. haha

Good luck with the med trials - but again remember everyone metabolizes drugs differently so it may take a while to find out which drug works! Keep me posted about what works for you guys! Liv