What's that normal nortriptyline dose and titration?

Hi all
Just wondering what the normal titration of nortriptyline is?
I’ve been on 10mgs for 3weeks and after another week at this dose I’m due to increase to 25mgs for 4 weeks and then increase to 50mgs…!
I’ve read on here that people here increase by 10 mgs or even 5mgs at a time so I’m wondering if my increases are a lot??
Thanks in advance x

The first time I went on Nortriptyline I began at 25 mgs for 3 weeks, then went to 50 mgs for 3 weeks, then 35mgs for one week and then 25 mgs for two weeks and then 4 days at 20 and 8 days at 10. It kicked in at 5 days. I had not been on the diet or trigger identification yet but started that when I began the medication. At the end, I did not need any medication for 15 months. The second time I went on it, I had been on the diet and watching some, but not all, of the triggers. I began with 25 mgs for 2 weeks, then 4 weeks at 35 mgs, then 4 days at 25, then 17 days at 20 and 18 days at 10 mgs. I went 10 months without medication after that. I had a bad episode last week (it is hard to be diligent all the time with all the triggers especially in the heat of summer) and so I began 25 mgs and it kicked in immediately. I will stay on this amount for a few weeks and then we will decide what to do. I have found that it is always much better to be on the diet and reducing as many triggers as you can. So far, it helps me go longer without meds and then I do not have to go to 50 mgs, if I need medication, which causes worse side effects for me. I get Vertigo, vomiting, nystagmus, ear fullness, tinnitus and balance issues when the triggers overwhelm me… I never get a severe headache (unless the ER gives me a Valium)…

Thanks spinning girl… That’s a very specific regime… I’m so glad to hear that it worked for you…!
I’m only 3 weeks in to my trial of nort and have not been advised on diet by my doc but have picked up bits and pieces here…
What diet are you following?
I’m finding it very hard to figure stuff out regarding the diet yet as nothing I’m doing at present seems to be making any difference…!!

Also spinning girl if you don’t mind me asking… When u increased ur doses did u see any increase in your side effects?

The side effects for me are: a weird, bad taste in my mouth (suck on mints when you go out), sleeping for 8.5 hours at night (and sometimes I need a 15 minute nap during the late AM)(I take my pill at 7:00 pm to lesson fatigue in the morning), constipation (sorry to bring this up!) (the diet regimen calls for you to take magnesium so I take 500 mgs at breakfast and 500 mgs at 4:30 pm and that takes care of this problem unless I have to go to 50 mgs and then I have some trouble and might need a laxative) ( it really helps to add oatmeal or high fiber cereal and fruit at breakfast and steamed vegetables and dark greens at dinner) and sometimes at the higher doses I feel my heart beating. All the symptoms become worse for me at 50 mgs.
It took me too long to figure out that, for me, the avoidable and unavoidable triggers need attention. By following the diet and trying to reduce all triggers, I lesson my symptoms on a daily basis and if I have to go on meds, I do not need the higher doses. I will try to put a link here for the Teixido and Carey paper “Migraine - More Than A Headache”. The diet is on the very last page, after resources. Also, it is helpful to read “Healing Your Headache 1-2-3” by Buchholz. They are all out of Johns Hopkins and the program really helped me. After about 3 months on the diet you can add back small amounts of restricted items and see how you do. None of this is easy but I am happy with results. And I am sorry that we are no longer carefree. (I will send the link in a second post) www.vertigotalesandtastes.blogspot.com

1 Like

Thanks
I will have a look… There are so many different diets out there that I don’t know which is best to follow and some of them conflict each other on what is off limits so it’s all so confusing!!!
I luckily haven’t felt any side effects from the nort yet, I’m maybe a bit more tired but noting else… I’m sure when I increase to the 25mgs that will change…!!
Thanks again