When is it migraine and when is it MM?

Hello,

I’ve had problems for the past 11 years and I’ve been to numerous doctors (neuros, otos, neuro-otos, ENTs) and nobody has ever told me I have MM, actually my neuro-oto specifically says he doesn’t think I have MM. I’ve tried many different treatment options (no surgery) My main symptoms for the past 11 years:

24X7X11 years dizziness. It never lets up.
24X7X11 years ear fullness
24X7X11 years big time brain fog and head pressure
24X7X11 years vision issues
Also, my brother has the exact same problems I do for the past 3 years.
My MRIs (I’ve had 2) were clean

None of my symptoms are episodic. They are constant. I’ve had tinnintus which lasted about 3 seconds a couple of times a month maybe. Nothing major.

I’ve tried antivirals and the John of Ohio’s regimen along with other countless pills and none have helped (including klonopin which I just tapered off of).

A member here recommended I read Heal your Headache which I did and after reading it, I can’t help but think my problem may be migraine related. What are your thoughts? The author specifically mentions Menieres is often misdiagnosed and it turns out to be a migraine problem. He actually says by far the people who come see him and are told they have Menieres actually suffer from migraine (non-headache variety). He also mentions things like the neck crunching (which I have big time) as common in migrainiuers.

Since I’ve tried various MM meds and none have helped, I think I should look further into migraine. I’ve never tried any of the preventative meds for migraine. I’m going to see another neuro next week and I’m hopefull they can nail down my issue.

Any thoughts?

(NB from admin: these images link to products members have found helpful and at the same time help fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!)

Simply put, the 24/7 dizziness would make me lean towards migraine. MM does not cause constant dizziness, instead it causes episodic vertigo of the violent spinning type last anywhere from twenty minutes to 1 and 1/2 days.

The other symptoms that you mention could be either, but usually not MM if 24/7.

You do mention one at the end that also makes me lean towards MAV, the tinnitus. With MM, your hearing gets worse until over time it is gone. With the loss of hearing, the tinnitus gets worse. Because you mention a lack of tinnitus, I am assuming that your hearing is fine. Without hearing loss, it probably isn’t MM. I work with a couple of people with MM and you have to be careful wich side you of them you are on when talking with them because they are deaf in the MM ear.

Brian

What is MM? Are we talking about Miniere’s Disease?

Rich

Yes, menieres. My hearing is not as good as it was 11 years ago (getting old!) but it isn’t what I would consider bad either. Since my symptoms are not episodic (I haven’t felt ‘normal’ for 11 years) I’m leaning toward migraine. I mean I may feel a bit better somedays that others but the dizziness is always there.

After reading Heal Your Headache, I’m even more convinced. I haven’t had a vertigo attack though on the onset of my symptoms 11 years ago, I did have some kind of episode that put me in bed for a day or two and after I woke up, I felt like this ever since.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

With all the docs you’ve seen, I assume labyrinthitis/vestibular neuronitis has been ruled out several times?
Spinning onset (if that’s what you had) + constant symptoms can definitely be MAV, but it’s way more common in the above.

— Begin quote from “tekksan”

Yes, menieres. My hearing is not as good as it was 11 years ago (getting old!) but it isn’t what I would consider bad either. Since my symptoms are not episodic (I haven’t felt ‘normal’ for 11 years) I’m leaning toward migraine. I mean I may feel a bit better somedays that others but the dizziness is always there.

After reading Heal Your Headache, I’m even more convinced. I haven’t had a vertigo attack though on the onset of my symptoms 11 years ago, I did have some kind of episode that put me in bed for a day or two and after I woke up, I felt like this ever since.

— End quote

You said that you have read the book “Heal Your Headache” , have you tried his program yet to see if your symptoms are reduced.

I read it a few months ago and started per his instruction in the book removing all trigger foods, getting off the quick fixes and I can honestly say my symptoms have improved. They are not gone but they are much better than they were prior to starting the program he recommends.

I am going to another neurologist and am going to ask him about the medications he recommends in the book as far as preventatives.

— Begin quote from “Tranquillity”

With all the docs you’ve seen, I assume labyrinthitis/vestibular neuronitis has been ruled out several times?
Spinning onset (if that’s what you had) + constant symptoms can definitely be MAV, but it’s way more common in the above.

— End quote

I’ve never been told I could have that specifically but I have tried anticonvulsants and antiviral therapy to no avail. I have also clean MRIs. Would labyrinthitis/neuronitis show up on an MRI?

Also, since my brother has the same problem I do, it makes me lean toward a genetic factor like migraines. My mother has bad mirgraines but not constant dizziness.

— Begin quote from “Timeless”

— End quote

You said that you have read the book “Heal Your Headache” , have you tried his program yet to see if your symptoms are reduced.

I read it a few months ago and started per his instruction in the book removing all trigger foods, getting off the quick fixes and I can honestly say my symptoms have improved. They are not gone but they are much better than they were prior to starting the program he recommends.

I am going to another neurologist and am going to ask him about the medications he recommends in the book as far as preventatives.

— End quote

I’ve tried the (as best as I can) for the past 2.5 months but haven’t had relief yet. I’m going to a neuro next week where I hope to obain some of the preventative meds discussed in Heal Your Headache.

— Begin quote from “Tranquillity”

— End quote

I’ve never been told I could have that specifically but I have tried anticonvulsants and antiviral therapy to no avail. I have also clean MRIs. Would labyrinthitis/neuronitis show up on an MRI?

Also, since my brother has the same problem I do, it makes me lean toward a genetic factor like migraines. My mother has bad mirgraines but not constant dizziness.

— End quote

No, it doesn’t show on MRIs, but on ENGs (water/air in the ears) and probably the rotating chair test too. At this point all tests could well be normal even if it was that, though.

And don’t get me wrong, I also think migraine is a likely cause. :slight_smile:

My girlfriend has demylenating disease which causes mirgrains and pain behind her eyes. doctors have told her to stay away from loud noise and her children are constantly argueing andshe herselfis a very loud person… i constantly tell her to lower her voice but she will only quiet herself most of the time when I’m around. when I’m not around she is very loud.how do i get her to realize that she is only hurting herself/brain???