7 weeks on Lyrica - time to change?

Hi All,

Have been on lyrics / pregablin for nearly 2 months without any change in my disequilibrium, although I have improved slightly on the anxiety front (up until the panic attack yesterday).

At this point should I try a different med?

What about increasing the dose?

Wasn’t it Hain who said patients should try each drug for 3 months and/or have reached the maximum dose before moving on?

Richy, I agree you should up the dose, after 7/8 weeks I don’t think I had found any relief yet . X

cant you up it anymore are the side effects bad?

they say you should give meds 3 months. It took me about 3 months on Lyrica to notice an improvement

Dr Silver says 3 to 4 months at the max/therapeutic dose before it starts to become effective.

thanks for responses. I will talk to Dr S about upping the dose, however i thought I would have at least seen some improvement in my dizziness after nearly 2 months.

Tom from Dizzytimes mentioned that if no positive effects are 6 weeks, time to move on to a new drug

I would check with Dr. S. about upping the dose. Honestly, for me the limit is 6-8 weeks- if I don’t see any change by then, I just get off of it. I know others will disagree with me- and topamax sounds like maybe that one is an exception- but that is my philosophy and I don’t want to waste time on something that isn’t doing anything.

— Begin quote from “sarahd”

I would check with Dr. S. about upping the dose. Honestly, for me the limit is 6-8 weeks- if I don’t see any change by then, I just get off of it. I know others will disagree with me- and topamax sounds like maybe that one is an exception- but that is my philosophy and I don’t want to waste time on something that isn’t doing anything.

— End quote

Exactly how I feel Sarah. Considering it takes so long to build up and also ween off, I think 2 months is a good enough amount of time

I just know that I wasted 6 months on gabapentin waiting for the sedation to go away which it never did- I could have tried 2 other meds in that time period- ugggh well live and learn right?

If it were me, I’d scrap it. I’d think you’d get some affect if it was the right key.

Kelley

why don’t you just give it one more month. You don’t want to look back int he future and think maybe i didn’t give it long enough maybe i should try it again etc

It took me 3 months to notice a difference. Even then recovery is so slow. You don’t improve in weeks you improve in months IMO

just got a message back from Dr S after leaving the question with his secretary

he has advised me to stay on it and try upping to 450 per day in 50mg increments. Then he will consider prescribing another medication for me when i next see him…

not to be negative but i have to say, im not 100% happy with the possibility of taking a 2nd med, when this med is not doing anything for me… it seems like medication overload to me

Upping first, makes sense. See how you do on that before worrying about a second med.

— Begin quote from “RichyF”

thanks for responses. I will talk to Dr S about upping the dose, however i thought I would have at least seen some improvement in my dizziness after nearly 2 months.

Tom from Dizzytimes mentioned that if no positive effects are 6 weeks, time to move on to a new drug

— End quote

i’ve only just started getting tiny changes in my symptoms after 4 months on ami… you have to give it alot longer - GOOD LUCK :slight_smile:

Dr S is more conservative with the meds than other docs. Dr Silver wanted to start me on 3 meds all at once at my first appt with him!

When I went to Dr S a month later he told me to just stick with nori and see how it goes on that first before considering adding anything else.

I agree with those that suggest giving it a proper trial as you want to be able cross it off the list properly and not have to waste time going back to it in future.

When do you next see Dr S? x

— Begin quote from “Jem”

Dr S is more conservative with the meds than other docs. Dr Silver wanted to start me on 3 meds all at once at my first appt with him!

When I went to Dr S a month later he told me to just stick with nori and see how it goes on that first before considering adding anything else.

I agree with those that suggest giving it a proper trial as you want to be able cross it off the list properly and not have to waste time going back to it in future.

When do you next see Dr S? x

— End quote

it will be around the end of March, need to book my flights etc… how about you?

I’m currently weaning off Topamax, and will be on Gabapentin and Pizotifen.
I asked Dr. S during my last appt about the possibility of gaining benefits from the synergistic effects of more than one med- and he basically confirmed that, yes, there were potential advantages…
Tony.

I see him on 13th March at the NHS hospital in Gillingham.

i’ve noticed my visuals e.g. illusion of things moving in my vision is getting worse. I am really wondering if this is due to the Lyrica anybody else had this side effect?

Richy it sounds like lyrica may not be right for you. Did Dr S say what other med you would try next? x