A tricky self test

Hi,
I have tried to make a little test this morning by blowing my abdominal area, like when you inhale with the diaphragm and not fully exhale, but do a shallow breathing and have noticed that the bobbing, floating feeling lessens quite much. I think it `s an interesting discovery.

I think what you maybe have just discovered is that Distraction can make symptoms seem less prominent. Just thinking about the floaty feeling can make it seem worse. The very act of concentrating on an alternative way of breathing takes the mind away from recording the other sensation. I am not a doctor but from all I have read this could be an indication that your dizziness is more akin to PPPD rather than MAV although many MAVers find a challenging absorbing hobby can have the same effect. Many people who suffer with balance issues feel better when driving a car because they are concentrating solely on the mechanics of driving.

Another thought is that it stimulates the abdominal branch of the vagus nerve.

I feel better in the car, but not just driving but also as a passenger, it`s the same with the public transport, swings, and bicycle. As soon as the movement stops my floating feeling gets more intense.
Flutters, what do you mean - it stimulates the abdominal branch of the vagus nerve. Not exhaling completely keeping abdominal area slightly bloated stimulates that vagus nerve? Could you please explain…

Look up the vagus nerve.

1 Like

I’ve had something similar: when I get up too fast after laying down and take a deep breath and hold it, then I get pretty close to blacking out unless I release my breath. Anyways the interesting thing is that for the next 5-10 seconds after almost blacking out I feel 100% symptom-free. I don’t know if it’s a “distraction” as @Onandon03 put it or some part of my brain that is responsible for MAV is shut down momentarily or confused. I don’t know, its super weird though.