Advice please!

My husband was layed off yesterday and I was planning on starting effexor tomorrow…is this not a good time? I have 4 days off from work so if I was to get sick, I was going to be home. Now I"m not even sure if I should start because our health insurance is going to be over in 30 days and will be paying out of pocket for topamax, birth control and now brand name effexor. Yikes!!!

I’m not sure what advice to give you, but I can tell you that generic topamax (topiramate) is very affordable. I just filled my prescription for the month and I think it was $17. My insurance is essentially catastrophic only. I pay 100% up to the first $6,000, so I’m essentially paying 100% out of pocket.

That is at least one cost that you shouldn’t hae to worry too much about.

I would start it. What if it works? Then you will feel better! I’m not sure the cost of Brand Effexor but I’d still do it. I’d do anything to feel better.
Very sorry about your husbands job :frowning: I hope you’ll can recoup quickly! Good luck Salem!

Sorry to hear about your husband’s job. Can you get insurance through your employer? If not, can you look into COBRA through the company that was giving it to you? It’s still expensive, but may work out to be less than the cost of all your meds - especially if you need to regularly be seeing doctors. I wouldn’t let it stop you from trialing the med. There’s no perfect time to do it, and if you end up feeling better because of it, I’m sure the circumstances will be much less of a concern.

I’m so sorry to hear about your husband’s job. If I were in your shoes, I would definitely start taking the Effexor. My sister doesn’t have insurance and wrote the actual drug companies for the medicine she is on and she is able to get it at a reduced cost. Maybe you could try that if it works for you. Let me know if you do go on it and how you are doing.

Donna

I agree with what the others have said - I’d go ahead and try it while you’ve got a few days to do it… You never know, maybe your husband will “luck out” and find a new position quickly. :wink: Anyhow, if the Fex seems to be working, if all else fails, I wonder if you could get (at least) some samples of your bc pills for the next few months, and save some $ for the Effexor that way, if you need to. (When I was on bc pills a few years ago, my gyn used to give my 4-6 “sample” packs for free whenever I went in for an appointment… Saved me $25/month for 4-6 months, since the kind I was using didn’t come in generic!) Just a thought… Hang in there!