Air travel advice - push through or stop over?

This is a question for the flyers. I’m off to the UK in May and I haven’t flown since all this MAV fun began. Just wanted to get some advice from the travellers amongst us.

Would I be better to just push through and do the whole 24 hrs in one hit, or would I be better off stopping half (ish) way and giving myself a chance of 5-6 hours normal sleep and then doing the last leg . I know you can’t tell me actually what would be best for me personally - but would like to hear other people’s thoughts or experiences.

Hi,

I’ve not flown since my MAV started but am hoping to try a short flight soon and then a couple of longer ones (for work) later in the year, so I will be really interested to hear how you get on.

Personally I would just blitz the whole thing in as little time as possible, as I doubt you’ll be able to get any good quality rest even if you break it up.

Enjoy your trip to the UK, it’s a lovely time of year to visit. You might even get some sunshine (if you’re lucky). I live in the UK, so if you want any travel advice, feel free to send me a message.

Gabrielle,

One word: VALIUM :lol:

Hi

I think for me, I’d prefer to do the whole journey in one. That way I’m only having to go through the stress of checking in etc once. I’d rather finish my journey at my final destination so I know I can completely relax once I’d arrived instead of worrying about the next part of my journey later that day. I am slightly biased though as I have a lot of pain in my ears when the plane lands so I try to limit how many planes I have to take and the length of the journey.

What part of the uk are you going too? I live in London so if you’re near there and need travel advice or tips on good restaurants etc then let me know.

Jeni

Gabrielle
When I did the recent flight to AU, I slept for 10 hours on the plane with a little help from meds :slight_smile: But I tried to stick with the time schedule andhad no problems either way…I did have some fallout a few days after I got back, but nothing drastic. I would def start hitting the V a day or 2 before to suppress your vestibular system and hit a sleeping med. Restoril a good one…it’s a benzo, so you get extra benefit from it…no hangover…
Good luck!
Kelley

Gabrielle – last time I went to Toronto from Sydney, I made a point of stopping over in LA to 1) sleep and make the trip more bearable and 2) to catch up with some friends. I don’t think I would do that trip non-stop now if I could avoid it. S

Thanks Guys,

Scott I have a bottle of valium and there are 49 pills left so I think that will get me through :lol:

I’m coming up to Sydney in a few weeks on a “bumblebee” as I call them so I’ll be interested to see how that goes. I was going to pop a v for that but I have to drive from the airport to Westmead so will probably just bosh on through the flight as best I can. I REALLY REALLY hate propeller planes :frowning: . Totally irrational I know but hey ho.

Kelly I know my GP is happy to prescribe a sleeping pill for the flight as well so might talk to her about it. I’m just wary of taking something like that when I’m travelling alone and haven’t tried the med before. I’ve done valium on flights before so I know I can take them and not be off the planet

I’m thinking about upgrading to premium economy for the long haul and just pushing through, as I’ll be by myself and don’t have any friends in stop-over locations. Fortunately work is paying for the flight (well, the economy bit at least).

For the UK folks, I lived in Oxford for 5+ years, and hubby is English so suspect my spare weekends will be doing family stuff in Oxfordshire (I’m even slightly nostalgic for the M25 and M40…but that will pass!!!) but thanks for the offers. This time I might try and see some stuff IN London (Tower, V&A etc). Maybe we might be able to organise a get together for a non caffeinated beverage in a non visually stimulating quiet location :lol:

How long will you be in Sydney? Maybe Vic and I can catch up with you for a drink … erm, I mean a mineral water and a valium. And I’ll have to make sure I’m in bed by 8 PM … no all-nighters on the piss in Darlo. :lol:

Would be great if we can make it work! Evenings are booked out but I’m staying in Bronte Sat night so sat late arvo or sun morning might work? Can’t remember what uni you’re at but if it’s Sydney could also do non-caffeinated bevvy Friday avo . I haven’t been up to Sydney for about 3 years so will be all over the shop trying to see as many peopl as possible (westmead - castle hill - bronte - haberfield - willoughby - haberfield - epping - bronte - dulwich hill then airport). I’m tired thinking about it :lol:

Of course it would help if I told you the dates :lol:

Eerie timing for this thread Gabrielle - I just PMd you suggesting that next time I’m in Melbourne you and I go out and get totally wasted on water. :wink:

Would be great to catch up for a glass of Sydney water while you’re here. I live in the inner west close to Sydney Uni but have car can and will travel. Whatever is easiest for you.

Re the long haul flight. My vote is to break up the journey. Those 24+ hour flights knock the stuffing out of me. If possible I like to do a stopover where I can actually stay in a hotel and sleep in a bed and take a shower. Just seems to make the whole thing more bearable and I can’t sleep on planes. Even when loaded up on Valium. Like you I hate flying.

Vic

— Begin quote from ____

I live in the inner west

— End quote

Does that make you a Westie? Not sure a Bondi snob who eats bocconcini can mix with western Sydney riffraff. :lol:

— Begin quote from “scott”

— Begin quote from ____

I live in the inner west

— End quote

Does that make you a Westie? Not sure a Bondi snob who eats bocconcini can mix with western Sydney riffraff. :lol:

— End quote

We prefer the term ‘inner westonian’ thank you very much. And I’ll have you know I ate ‘heirloom carrots’ and ‘torn mozzarella’ at a restaurant in Redfern the other night. Yes, Redfern.

Vic that’s kinda spooky actually - are the police tapping into my brain waves again???

Torn mozzarella in Redfern??? Bloody hell it is getting posh these days …back in MY day… :lol:

and you’re note a real westie Vic - you’re inner city - far too trendy to be a westie. Now I was a REAL westie (well north westie but to you inner city types it’s all west :smiley:

I’ll have a car as well so lets see what Scott has to say and try and tee something up. Will be fun :smiley:

OK you two Westies, I’ll have to dress in disguise so as not to be recognised with you being the Bondi tosser that I am. What would the local snot bags think? I’d be cast out of the Bondi hood and banished from my Italian mineral water, bocconcini, and Havianas. LOL

Love the torn mozzarrella Vic. :lol: So funny when they dress all of these things up with pretentious language.

Check out this salad menu guys from a local Bondi hangout. What a riot:

Mixed leaves (no shit)
Rocket, radish, Pecorino Romano and olive
Heirloom tomato (WTF?), basil, pistachio salad
Quinoa with pomegranate, mint and cucumber
Broccoli and almond Polonaise (is this like Bolognese?)
Creamed spinach with hen’s egg (as opposed to rhino eggs?)
Field mushrooms with “Café de Paris” butter (bloody hell, it’s just butter)
Heirloom carrots with toasted cumin (more heirlooms from Grandma’s jewellery box)

Scott, what is the name of that Bondi cafe - Chez Wanker? :lol:

For dinner tonight I am going throw the following into my Morrocon tagine: organic, grain fed lamb’s belly marinated in fair trade whale oil, heirloom pre pubescent carrots, and a dusting of rare tumeric root. I plan to serve this nestled on a bed of Amazonian quinoa infused with aged, ripped and shredded bocconcini, a drizzle of truffle jus and shaved zuccini flower.

— Begin quote from “Victoria”

For dinner tonight I am going throw the following into my Morrocon tagine: organic, grain fed lamb’s belly marinated in fair trade whale oil, heirloom pre pubescent carrots, and a dusting of rare tumeric root. I plan to serve this nestled on a bed of Amazonian quinoa infused with aged, ripped and shredded bocconcini, a drizzle of truffle jus and shaved zuccini flower.

— End quote

Vic tagines are SO last year, get with the programme…

— Begin quote from “lorcalon”

— Begin quote from “Victoria”

— End quote

Vic tagines are SO last year, get with the programme…

— End quote

Phew! Thanks for the tip - saved from social ruin! I have hurled the tagine across the kitchen in fury at being so behind the times. Looks like it will have to be organic grain fed lamb’s belly carpaccio tonight.

much more like it :lol:

I have gone on 3 trips ( 6 flights ) and 1 cruise since my symptoms started. They were 5 hour flights and I did fine without meds but don’t have any anxiety problems with flying.

One thing that I would highly recommend and would not fly without is EarPlanes Earplugs. They were created by ENT’s and greatly reduce the effects of the air pressure changes on the ears.

In North America you can find them in stores like Walmart or at our local pharmacy.

I would not fly without them.

thanks DizzyC - I’ll look out for them.