Allergies

So I was wondering if allergies were somehow related to migraines? I get bad allergies in the spring and fall (I also have asthma) and I noticed that my dizziness is much worse when my allergies are flared up. This might just be another trigger for migraines but I was wondering if maybe for some people allergies could cause the migraines and mav? I remember awhile back during the spring time I was having a hard time with my dizziness and then I started taking an allergy medicine (I don’t remember what it was but I think it was singulair?) and my dizziness got a little better. That may have been a coincidence tho? So just wondering what all of your thoughts were on this and if it was worth asking my doctor about it?
Thanks!
Briana

I don’t know about the allergy relationship but I think some people on the board have some success with antihistamines in relieving some MAV symptoms so maybe both conditions work on some similar pathways?

— Begin quote from "bballgal8"

So I was wondering if allergies were somehow related to migraines?

— End quote

I think so, at least for some people. I know allergies trigger me. My seasonal allergies really aren’t that bad compared to other folks but they do sometimes trigger MAV symptoms. As a matter of fact, for several years before my MAV diagnosis after the onset of 24/7 symptoms, I would have bouts of vertigo that most often came at the same time as the allergy flare-ups.

Yeah I guess that would make somewhat sence. I could def see it being just another trigger like foods, lack of sleep…but I’m not sure if allergy meds would help at all? I mean allergy meds reduce inflammation which is sort of what we want to happen for our migraines so it could?

Yes, I am in no doubt that there is a correlation between my MAV bouts and my allergies, as it’s often worse in hayfever season. I have had a morning of sneezing sneezing sneezing when the pollen count is high, then by afternoon really dizzy. I find on these occasions Piriton or Clarityn help.

On the other hand I also get MAV after e.g. a bout of flu or an ear or throat infection. I reckon anything that tampers with the delicate ear/nose/throat mechanisms, and I’ll add eyes to that too (fluoro lights, 3D films etc), and stomach (wine, rich foods) can set off MAV.

Dizzy Izzy

I think there’s an allergies/congestion link: if a eustachian tube plugs up (I tend to have only one that gets plugged - not usually both unless I get a cold), then you’ve already got your vestibular system off-kilter. Throw in a migraine trigger, and you’re off and wobbling…

As doctors said, people with allergic rhinitis were determined to meet criteria for http://www.allergiesandcures.com/index.php/Allergy-Articles/taking-charge-over-your-allergy-headaches.html far more likely than people without allergic rhinitis. In fact, those with allergies were approximately 14 times more likely to report migraine headaches compared to those without allergies.

I honestly believe this is one of my main triggers. Pollen and also pollution like right now from the fireplaces in my city because it’s getting cold again - i’m hoping for wind with this next storm coming through tonight - the wind helps the smoke from settling around the city.

I’m already getting scared because usually pollen season starts here in late January - early February - not happy - at least usually i’ve got something to look forward to in the late Fall - into Winter - getting time of for holidays and usually i feel better - this year was different but usually i feel better.

Singulair - that remins me i may try that one again it seemed like it might have helped a little years ago. i need to talk to my dr. next week. seems like our bodies get burned out on the antihistmines nad you have to keep switching :frowning:

my allergies have gotten worse and worse almost every year the past ten years - i think now that i think about it it could be hormonal issues for me - first peri and then menopause. I"m post menopausal now.

chris