Amitriptyline questions

Hi

I’ve been taking Amitriptyline since July starting at 10mg,then 25mg and now 35mg. At 10mg and 25mg it didn’t make a difference to the vertigo and I didn’t suffer any of the common side effects such as drowsiness for more than a few days. In fact I find that now if I take it just before going to bed, it keeps me awake! I now take it at 7pm.

I’ve only been on 35mg since last Thursday and this week I have been the most dizzy I’ve ever been since this started. Has anyone else had this side effect and if yes, how long did it last? Also what dose of Amitriptyline have people reached before they noticed an improvement in vertigo if any? I know it’s different for everyone but it would be interesting to hear at what dose most people begin to see an improvement.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jennifer

i’m curious to see what kinds of responses you get to this because i want to know how long we have to stay on something until we realize it’s not working and then do we even have MaV? that’s what i’m wondering right now. i haven’t started anything quite yet.

chris

— Begin quote from "Jenlo"

Hi

I’ve been taking Amitriptyline since July starting at 10mg,then 25mg and now 35mg. At 10mg and 25mg it didn’t make a difference to the vertigo and I didn’t suffer any of the common side effects such as drowsiness for more than a few days. In fact I find that now if I take it just before going to bed, it keeps me awake! I now take it at 7pm.

I’ve only been on 35mg since last Thursday and this week I have been the most dizzy I’ve ever been since this started. Has anyone else had this side effect and if yes, how long did it last? Also what dose of Amitriptyline have people reached before they noticed an improvement in vertigo if any? I know it’s different for everyone but it would be interesting to hear at what dose most people begin to see an improvement.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jennifer

— End quote

I know this original thread is old but basically, I stopped propranolol yesterday and started amitriptyline and had a spin in bed, a spin when I got up ( I don’t usually have spins )… And today has been a hell of the worst dizziness iv had since I started this journey 9 weeks ago. I also have pain in head/face. Has anyone else found dizziness worse when first taking this? And does it get better?

Or could it just be a coincidence, n I’m just having a bad day? So frustrating as I had a few hours last might where I was convinced I’d beaten this thing and felt good- it’s like something was going on in my brain prior to this terrible day.

Any words or thoughts would be really appreciated guys.

Thank you. X

Hi

I thought i’d post an update about my experience with Amitriptyline although I think peoples reactions vary. As you saw from my original post, I got to 35mg and the dizziness got a lot worse. I stayed at that level for 3 weeks to give the dizziness side affect a chance to settle but it never did. I went to my doctors and they reduced the Amitriptyline back to 20mg and gave me betahistine to take with it. The dizziness went back to my usual Mav level. However I found the amitriptyline still disrupted my sleep and every few days it made me either sleepwalk or wake up seeing hallucinations of spiders, frogs and other things which lasted approx 30 seconds to 1 minute until I turned the light on. (I’ve always done this but it only occurs every few months normally, the ami seemed to make it occur more often.) For that reason I’ve stopped both the Ami and betahistine and I’ve just been given topamax to try today.

I seemed to remember with Ami that my doctor said you need to give it a trial for a few weeks each time you increase the dosage to see of the side effects like dizziness goes away.

Jeni

I jumped right in with 25mg and after a couple of weeks went to 37 and and am now on 50,seems to be helping me I am taking it in combination with verapamil 240mg a day.So far so good ,negligible side effects for me.Dry mouth in beginning which my neuro said is a sign that you are taking enough.He also said most people don’t take a high enough dose.He wants me to stay on it for 3 more months. I am 188 or 6,2 and around 98kg or 216.

Jeni,
I’m surprised that your doc gave you Betahistimie as it is a histamime and the ami is an antihistamine.

I was on Serc or betah. for the past 3 years and weaned off the same time I started the ami.

Hi guys, thats both for your replies about your Ami experiences.

Good luck xxx