Amitriptyline round 2

Hey all,

I’m giving amitriptyline another shot. The last time I took it was about 2.5 years ago. I was not on any meds at the time as I had been free of Cipramil for 5 weeks. But I was crashing hard at the time with strong visual vertigo (computer mainly) and anxiety/depression roaring in with it. I took 5 mg then and woke the next day so utterly dizzy and depressed that I couldn’t go to the university. I was so freaked out I immediately made the jump back to Cipramil instead. Last night I started on a lower dose of Amitrip –- 2.5 mg. So far this is OK (I’m still taking 2.5 mg Paxil) although I never really slept very well (but haven’t been anyway). My doc knows I’m mixing Amitrip and Paxil.

As is par for the course with this junk, dizziness is very low while head pain has taken the lead. Through late November and all December it was mostly dizziness with very little head pain. It’s like a coin toss!

Work pressure has ramped up as my role has changed again and I have next to no days where I can hide if I feel bad which makes any drug trial something I would rather avoid. But I’ve been dragging myself around lately without much zing to get things done as I would usually and am sick to death of all the headaches. In fact, since the Thailand trip it feels like I’m forcing myself to get through the daily work load. I love the job but the MAV ball and chain really blows. I had let a couple of things slide last week because it was just too hard and didn’t have the energy, or I just plain forgot (my memory is really bad right now) and of course my control-freak, strategic planning boss picked up on it immediately and gave me hell on Thursday. He knows I get “migraines” but otherwise has no idea of what really goes on and I want it to stay that way. I left that meeting shell-shocked and got a nice blast of feeling stoned, dizziness after driving for a few hours, really flat and zoned out for 24 hours. Oh the joy.

Anyway, enough whinging … I’ll stick with this dose for a while as long as things stay like this and start titrating it up. I know many of you have had good results with it.

Scott

Hey Scott,

Is the Ami for your headaches? I am unclear as to this addition to paxil.

Hi Lisa,

The aim is to see if Amitrip will treat the entire condition – that is if I can handle it. At the current dose Paxil does not treat this for me but simply keeps my head level to some degree and combined with valium when necessary stops the horse from bolting. I have tried bumping up Paxil on two occasions now but can’t get past the side effects (been on Paxil since August). I start to feel emotionally strung out, sleep is disrupted (which means more likely to be dizzy), and everything is just too hard which makes work impossible. Since mid November, I have been worse off overall. Maybe any inital help I got from Paxil wore off. If Amitrip works, I’ll dump Paxil completely asap.

Where are you up to now? Have you seen any change in your symptoms?

Scott :slight_smile:

best of luck Scott. Must be frustrating to always have meds ease one of the two most troubling symptoms only to have the other one increase.

ps. Do you work at a university?

— Begin quote from ____

I took 5 mg then and woke the next day so utterly dizzy and depressed that I couldn’t go to the university

— End quote

If you don’t mind my asking - what was it about ami that was difficult for you? My neuro recently recommended replacing my Trazodone (for sleep) with Ami, and then Nortriptyline (couldn’t handle side effects) to deal with head pain, which has also increased. I’m surprised at the low dose you are on. My Dr started me at 25 mg with an option to increase to 50 if needed. I can hardly stand the feeling of being…well…stoned and am anxious to see if this will subside.

Like yourself, my dizziness is very low at this point (well managed by Ritalin), but I’ve experienced an increase in head pain. I’m also finding (likely due to weather) that my osteoarthritis is acting up these days. The great hope was that by adding the Nortrip, we could manage the head and back pain.

— Begin quote from “scott”

Hi Lisa,

The aim is to see if Amitrip will treat the entire condition – that is if I can handle it. At the current dose Paxil does not treat this for me but simply keeps my head level to some degree and combined with valium when necessary stops the horse from bolting. I have tried bumping up Paxil on two occasions now but can’t get past the side effects (been on Paxil since August). I start to feel emotionally strung out, sleep is disrupted (which means more likely to be dizzy), and everything is just too hard which makes work impossible. Since mid November, I have been worse off overall. Maybe any inital help I got from Paxil wore off. If Amitrip works, I’ll dump Paxil completely asap.

Where are you up to now? Have you seen any change in your symptoms?

Scott :slight_smile:

— End quote

Hey Scott,
Sorry you are having a bit of a setback. The ami sounds like a good plan so please keep us posted. As for me, I hit the 100 mg mark on topamax just under 2 weeks ago and am actually starting to see some good stuff… too early to report more than that. I am cautiously optimistic. I am getting off of verapamil this week and then I will continue going up on the topamax. Thanks for asking. Here’s hoping.

Best,
lisa

Sorry Im a newbie sorry to jump i but hows the Ami going? I have to start this soon been putting it off all week they told me to start on 10mg.
Anything good/bad to report ?

Blondie,

It was not good and I had to stop. Maybe it interacted badly with the low dose of Paxil I continue to take on or it’s just not my scene. It caused immediate depression, screwed up my sleep and left me feeling hugely anxious to the point where I couldn’t perform at work. I don’t have the option of not being able to work so it’s out for me.

Scott

What a shame it didn’t work for you. Maybe something else will help. I think you’re brave to give it another go; not sure I would have but at least you know now.
I’m going to try it. I am worried about side effects but I know the docs are not going to be to pleased with me when I say I feel the same and then get lectured for not giving the meds a go. I’ve always tolerated medication well before this started so here’s to hoping!! :smiley: