Amitriptyline / Topirimate / Propranolol cocktail?!

So my neuro has added in 25mg of Topirimate to be taken in the morning, for 1 week. I am to reduce my Ami from 25mg to 20mg at night. This is for one week. Then I increase the T to 25mg twice a day, and reduce the Ami from 20mg to 10mg. Then I return to see him and see how I have been… Plus, I take Propranolol 40mg once a day for my blood pressure.

So, has anyone else been on a similar combination of drugs? And if so, how did you find it? Please don’t hold back- the good, :smiley: ) And just generally nervous as the Ami worekd well at 20mg when I was off work, so will I undo hard work and find the Ami was doing more than I thought it was??

Argh!

Any advice/ words of widsom/ experiences welcome! :smiley:

xx

Why has he taken you off the ami. It can be increased up to 80mg. 25mg is a low dose for vestibular migraine. After having a bad attack, i have been told to increase up slowly to 80mg.

— Begin quote from “Becks”

Why has he taken you off the ami. It can be increased up to 80mg. 25mg is a low dose for vestibular migraine. After having a bad attack, i have been told to increase up slowly to 80mg.

— End quote

I think he took me off the Ami because it was time to try the next drug… He did say that sometimes people find they reach a good point when they are weaning themselves off so should stay there…

Do other people think thats odd and it would be good to increase the Ami instead? I have to admit, I am pig sick of the side effects of weight gain, flatulence! (ok how embarassing?!) :oops: and mouth ulcers. But I’d take all of those side effects if I felt well again.

Maybe I could decide to up the Ami again if I’m still not feeling good on 10mg Ami and 50mg Top? Argh Man.

How long had you been on the ami?
I have read some excellent research papers about general migraine prophalaxysis and they say a drug should be trialled for 2-6 months at a therapeutic dose and then the decision made to continue treatment for 6/12 months if it has been effective.

Been on the Ami since June 19th… So 3.5 months… Been at 20mg for 2.5 months and 25mg for a month…

I think if the AMi is working, but not to the extent that you’d like, I’d consider adding the Topamax at a low dose. Is there a reason you can’t be on both? I would choose to trial them both before tapering off the AMi…otherwise it gets confusing as to what’s helping what.
Kelley

If my experience is like yours, you’re not going to like decreasing the amitriptyline. I tried it during the summer and wasn’t right again until I got back up to 75 mg/day. I’ve never tried Topamax b/c I fear the side effects, and my neurologist hasn’t had much luck with it. I’m on an amitriptyline/Effexor/Librium cocktail. I think my doctor is surprised at how well I tolerate this amount of drug, but it works for me.
I’ve been feeling so good lately that I finally joined a gym to combat some mild amitrip weight gain. And I try to eat as healthy as possible.