An Easy Five Star Fish Recipe and Veggie Broth Recipe

This recipe called for Cod but I hate Cod. I substituted Talapia. It also calls for tomatoes, which I have no trouble with. I called for canned tomatoes, but I used fresh.

**FISH WITH SOBA NOODLES IN SPICY TOMATO-GINGER BROTH **

4 ounces soba noodles (Japanese buckwheat noodles) or just use whole grain spaghetti

2 T olive oil
1 T grated fresh ginger
2 tsp minced garlic
24 oz talapia or cod
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
15 oz tomatoes
15 oz broth (I make my own veggie broth - just boil the life out of a bunch of vegetables for a couple of hours)
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (if you want it HOT put this full amount in. If not, reduce it to half)
2 T chopped fresh basil
1 T chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
4 cups thinly sliced Napa cabbage
1/4 cup chopped green onions

Cook soba noodles, drain and put aside
Heat oil in skillet to medium high het and saute ginger and garlic for 30 seconds.
Season fish with salt and pepper and add to skillet. Brown on each side for 2 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes, broth, red pepper flakes. (if using talapia, it’s probably done by now, so remove it. I left it in until putting the tomatoes in to wash off all the garlic and ginger. If using cod, leave it in to cook)
Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until cod flakes easily with fork.
Remove cod and set aside.
Add basil, cilantro, sugar and sesame oil to skillet. Stir to combine.
Add cabbage and soba noodles.
Simmer, uncovered, 1 to 2 minutes.
Serve tomato mixture topped with fish and garnish with green onions.

VEGGIE BROTH

I use a pressure cooker, but all you have to do to make a veggie broth is get a big pot and put a bunch of veggies in it. I like to use:

parsnips
spinach
a couple of cans of corn or an entire cob of corn.
leeks
peppers (red/yellow)
carrots
celery
bay leaves
thyme

The older the vegetables the better and use the greens too (the tops of the carrots, the tops of the celery, the entire pepper, including the inner parts you usually throw away). No need to cut them up, just enough to git into the pot. Just boil the life out of them and into your stock. Add some salt. You’ll be surprised how good it is.

I love the fact that you can tolerate tomatoes! :smiley:
Don’t they contain a fair bit of free glutamate, though? And aren’t you sensitive to MSG? :slight_smile:
In any case; I’m planning to try it myself and I’d love it if it works out!

they do contain a fair amount of glutamate. I really have no idea if MSG is a no-no for me or not, i just avoid it like the plaque because of the bad name it has. I’m in the process of adding things back and i’m fine with tomatoes which is great!

the last few dishes i’ve posted have all contained tomatoes. I’ve been using Heirloom tomatoes which are so so sweet!

Have fun!

Julie

Yum, Julie - another good one!!! :smiley:

Tranquility - I am one very sensitive to MSG. I do tomatoes because I love them, but I keep it in moderation, and do ok.

Foods that naturally contain glutamate (tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, beans, corn, wheat - plus a million others) are generally well tolerated even by people who are MSG-sensitive, until they are cooked or altered in some way (hydrolyzed, autolyzed, fermented). High heat turns glutamate (which is pretty harmless) into free glutamate (which is not). In other words, its possible to make MSG right in your own kitchen.

When I use tomatoes, I usually try to add them last, to avoid cooking them any longer than necessary. Not always possible with every recipe though :frowning:

Kim

Ah, Kim, thanks for the food science lesson. I had no idea. I better quit putting corn into my soup stock! i cook the living life out of it!!

When I eat corn on the cob, which is pretty much daily, i cook it for 2 minutes, so that should be okay.

Julie

Ahhhhh- Jul - Don’t get me started!!! :smiley:

Kim :shock:

Corn for two minutes should be just fine. I Love Corn- and I cook it the same way, and do just fine.

are you serious? Tell me more Kim, don’t go holding back on me now, i’m just learning how to eat! You must have lots of secrets!! :mrgreen:

Okay, what’s a Soba Noodle? :wink:

Heather

Good question, Heather!!! My thoughts exactly!!! :mrgreen:

Julie lives some place really weird, she gets all kinds of STUFF most of us can’t… :twisted:

Kim

Bingo!!!

I live in the weirdest place in the country - New Jersey !

A Soba noodle is an Asian thing. You find it in a lot of Thai dishes. And it’s easy to find in the Asian section of almost all supermarkets, I think. It’s a buckwheat noodle.

Of course i live in an even stranger place, PRINCETON, NJ!!! Hoyty Toyty - if you can’t find something here, they don’t make it!

Send me your addresses, i’ll send you some Soba noodles :mrgreen:

JJ