Anyone revisit a med? Esp after menopause?

I’m collapsing again here!

I’ve done all the meds my Neuro has to offer, and unless I want to revisit one of the prior meds I am stuck.

I believe that some of you have had good luck revisiting prior meds. I did try propranolol twice, no go. But now I am in menopause, and so everything and I mean EVERYTHING is different, so maybe prior meds will work differently?

Thinking that I would be wise to stay away from anticonvulsants…yuck…

I’m seeing my Psyche on the 30th. Until then I’d love it if anyone can share some experiences with me.

Thank you!!

Is it possible to see a new doctor to get additional medication options? I saw an ENT once who told me that Nortriptyline and Verapamil were the only options. I couldn’t tolerate either one so I was out of medications according to him. I’m finding relief with Effexor.

One other thought since you mention menopause. I’m in perimenopause. After trying many hormonal options I finally realized that anything with estrogen made me much, much worse. I’ve now removed any estrogenic chemicals I can identify from my lotions, shampoo, etc. I’ve stopped eating soy and am working on cutting out bottled water due to the plastic.

As you say, everything is different for you now, so I’m not sure if this would help or not. I feel like it’s contributing to my improvement so I thought I’d pass it along.

Sarah,

Thank you!! Actually, I was just Rx’d Effexor by my doc. This will be my second round, although I am starting out with the ER version to avoid some of the side effects of the immediate release one. I am so glad to hear you are finding relief with it! I’m to start at 37.5 mg a day, at least for the first month. Fine with me, I need to go ‘low and slow’ as they say with the meds. How much are you taking? What did you experience in the beginning?

I have been wondering if I might get some hot flash relief from it, as it is supposed to help for that, and also I am thinking of starting some natural progesterone cream that helped me a ton during peri-menopause. I had an IUD for 3 years, the Mirena, and after it was removed the flashes started in earnest. I realize that the small amount of progesterone I got from the Mirena mostly stayed local to the device, however being that we with the Migraine Brains are so sensitive, I’m thinking it possible that as I was getting a little bit of the progesterone (progestin, actually) into my system, it was helping me without my knowing it.

Again thanks for the reply. Take care,

Kathleen

kathleen what meds have u actually tried? if u cant find another neuro would ur primary care dr. be willing to prescribe others for you?

Sarah I’ve had nort, ami, topamax, propranolol, prozac, paxil, zoloft, celexa, lexapro, verapamil, gabapentin, buspar…and effexor.

Not necessarily in that order. :roll:

I was dealing with GAD before this last major episode hit, and that’s when I tried celexa and lexapro, as far as I can remember.

I’m taking 75 mg of the generic pills. It’s not the extended release kind so I take a 37.5 pill in the morning and another in the evening. I started with 1/2 pill and worked my way up very slowly over several months. I had pretty bad nausea and shakiness each time I upped the dose. I pushed through it and it eventually went away. I don’t feel like I have any side effects now but I do make sure to always take the pills with food. I hope you find some relief!

Thanks Sarah! Me too. I’m glad to know that the SE’s went away. Glad it’s working for you!

I’ve just started with the XR 37.5 in the morning with breakfast. I can’t remember if I took it in the evenings last time, may have as I am a bit drowsy. Which seems weird to say as I am also jittery… :smiley:

Well, they don’t call ‘em Crazymeds for nothin’.