Article on migraines

Some may have already seen this as it was published in 2010, but for those who haven’t, it’s worth the read - written by Dr. Mark Hyman.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/how-to-eliminate-migraine_b_451311.html

Cat

Certainly worth the read. However, I wonder how much experience he’s had with the constant migraine/dizziness some of us on here have. Thanks for the post!
-Brian

Hi Cat,

Thanks for the link and for keeping an eye on interesting articles, however, this is one that should be viewed very cautiously and with a VERY sceptical eye.

1. Mark Hyman is known to be a quack and has made his mega dollars pushing vitamins, minerals, supplements (VMS) – his so called Ultra Wellness program. Fortunately, he has been raked over the coals by some prominent people in science-based medicine too. You can read one such article here:

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2010/10/dr_mark_hyman_lets_turn_back_the_clock_o.php

1. If you look for the red flags in this article on the HuffPo, you’ll note some beauties that he says that are just plain bull. For example:

– “There are a host of preventive drugs – calcium channel blockers, beta-blockers, anti-seizure medications, antidepressants, and more --which work poorly, if at all, and are accompanied by frequent side effects.”

While this is true that not all migraine meds will work for some people and they do come with side effects – as do most all medicines (including herbs) – they also work miracles for people too and allow them to get their lives back. I would be unable to work if it weren’t for the small dose of Paxil I’m on or the odd dose of Valium I need when symptoms are really playing up. Hyman uses the medicines fear line to launch into his next pitch which is the “natural” way to get well, and of course, use his products – namely VMS.

– “The problem with migraines is the same one we see so often in medicine: We treat the symptoms, not the cause.”

If we all had a dollar for how often this logical fallacy appears, we’d all be millionaires on mvertigo. The cause of migraine is in the genes. It’s a genetic disease. Period. Hyman does not differentiate trigger from cause because if he were to acknowledge the genetics of migraine he’d have an impossible time trying to feel his package as a “cure.”

– “But using Functional Medicine I have been able to get nearly 100 percent of my patients migraine free within days to weeks!”

What the hell is “functional” medicine? He insinuates that standard science-based medicine is not functional – or does not work. Nonsense. Second, he then makes his statement that he eliminates migraine in 100% of his patients. If that’s not an outright lie I don’t know what is. I’d love to know what the sample size was! Maybe three cherry-picked out of 10? VMS and following a migraine lifestyle will fix up about 40% of sufferers; the rest need meds to raise migraine threshold.

There is other nonsense in his post but he also does mention correct information such as a patient who stopped drinking Diet Coke for example or another who cleared up a medical problem with their gut. He says nothing we don’t know already know – that is that we need to practice trigger avoidance. Even on a med, indulging in trigger foods or bad habits can still set us off med or not. The bottom line with the likes of someone like Hyman is in selling his VMS wellness package.

Unfortunately, the HuffPo has a bad reputation out there for presenting dubious information and pushing the natural approach, especially when it’s related to health. They’ve even got a resident magic water homeopath over there.

Cheers … Scott 8)