Auditory Hallucinations? Topamax

I’m on propranolol now (which has helped with my anxiety, but sadly not my migraines). My neurologist wrote “no Topamax” on my chart when I was taken off of it, so I will most likely not try it again.

1 Like

Off topic (Rose have you considered opening your own PD to record your own story?) but do not despair and providing your don’t get any strange bad side effects (not too common with Propranolol) Do stick with the Propranolol. It tends to take longer than many to work but it will stop Migraines for many people, but you need a high enough dose for you. A friend of mine had migraines from a young age which last Autumn many years later became Chronic Daily Headache, another variant from MAV Doctors suspect. Propranolol (in her case at 120mg - it’s a weight/drug intake relevant drug - she weighs 8st) stopped the headaches completely within three months. Hang on in there.

1 Like

I haven’t considered opening my own personal diary, but if I have the time to write everything down one day I probably will. I did not know that propranolol is affected by your weight, (I’m only on 40mg and I weight about 8 stones as well), so maybe I will try to go up to a higher dose to see if it has any effects.

1 Like

There is a proforma document whereby you can just summarize by answering the questions. If you follow that it won’t much time at all.

1 Like

Clear it with your doctor first of course, and not expect them to be aware of the weight.drug ratio. It is not common knowledge. And, of course, do increase gradually.

Tinazidine, a muscle relaxant sometimes used as a migraine preventative can apparently cause auditory or visual hallucinations too. Seems a lot of it about.

Except for the permanent nerve damage I got from topomax, I’d agree with you. I’ll grant that my hands go numb during aura a lot, but topomax made that permanent on top of my right hand.

I think these psychotropics are like the brain is dreaming while awake or some other brain activity misfire like visual snow or tinnitus. I hear singing or voices every so often, especially when there is white noise (a fan, moving water) in the background. I think our hyper acute senses are looking for patterns where they don’t exist or substituting them.