Balancing the diet

As most of you know I have gotten rid of all the diet triggers and also have all but eliminated all simple carbs which seems to help my symptoms a great deal.

The problem now is I have lost a lot of weight and seem to need to stop that so what can I put in the diet to kind of balance it out.

Since I am convinced that I have some RHG; I have to be very careful adding back any simple carbs. Also many of the complex carbs are on the trigger list so now I need to find somethings to add to keep my weight from continuing to drop off.

I would have never thought that would be a problem but my husband says I need to stop losing weight. It does not bother me as in my younger years I was always very thin but I guess if I am losing it so fast it may be a problem.

When I started all of this back in September I weighed 152 and now I weigh 112 as of this morning. I am short 5’ 1" but I want to stay healthy any suggestions to keep a balance.

I have the same problem, except I’m already quite underweight and need to GAIN, not just stop losing. I’ve gained a bit the last few weeks, but mostly using a looot of simple carbs. Not good for diabetes-risk, migraine or anything else except gaining weight, so I’ve cut them out as of today… we’ll see what happens symptom wise, but I’m afraid of starting to lose weight again.
I guess the only alternatives are protein and/or fat. I can’t seem to tolerate much fat though, which is yet another thing stopping me in my tracks. :expressionless:

— Begin quote from “Tranquillity”

I have the same problem, except I’m already quite underweight and need to GAIN, not just stop losing. I’ve gained a bit the last few weeks, but mostly using a looot of simple carbs. Not good for diabetes-risk, migraine or anything else except gaining weight, so I’ve cut them out as of today… we’ll see what happens symptom wise, but I’m afraid of starting to lose weight again.
I guess the only alternatives are protein and/or fat. I can’t seem to tolerate much fat though, which is yet another thing stopping me in my tracks. :expressionless:

— End quote

I tried eating a couple of pieces of whole grain bread today we will see how that does. Put butter on it and found that sunflower seeds have a good many calories which they are not on the trigger list so I will try that.

Husband bought some pears but most fruits i do not tolerate well.

I drank some lactaid free milk instead of just water today perhaps that will also help.

My brother who is a person trainer said yams might work.

If i could stay around 115 I think that would be okay…

Hi Timeless,

Sorry to hear about the weight loss problems.

What sort of carbohydrate foods are you avoiding exactly? The classification of carbs as “simple” and “complex” is obsolete and meaningless these days and it would be good to know exactly what you think is making you feel worse. With carbs you need to be thinking about slow absorption or fast absorption – ie, low or high glycemic index carbs.

Your brother’s recommendation of eating yams and/or sweet potato is a very good one. They are low GI.

If you can tell me what carbs are problematic for you (potatoes? rice? pasta? breakfast cereal?), I might be able to help you get to the bottom of the problem.

Best … Scott

— Begin quote from “scott”

Hi Timeless,

Sorry to hear about the weight loss problems.

What sort of carbohydrate foods are you avoiding exactly? The classification of carbs as “simple” and “complex” is obsolete and meaningless these days and it would be good to know exactly what you think is making you feel worse. With carbs you need to be thinking about slow absorption or fast absorption – ie, low or high glycemic index carbs.

Your brother’s recommendation of eating yams and/or sweet potato is a very good one. They are low GI.

If you can tell me what carbs are problematic for you (potatoes? rice? pasta? breakfast cereal?), I might be able to help you get to the bottom of the problem.

Best … Scott

— End quote

Anything with a lot of sugar, like for instance at Thanksgiving I ate dressing , cranberry sauce and had really bad symptoms. Pasta does not work for me. Rice is hard because of my reflux.

I think because of the RHG if I can determine the things that are on the low GI that would be a good start.

Hi Timeless,

Anything with a lot of sugar, like for instance at Thanksgiving I ate dressing , cranberry sauce and had really bad symptoms. Pasta does not work for me. Rice is hard because of my reflux. I think because of the RHG if I can determine the things that are on the low GI that would be a good start.

What is RHG? Sorry if I missed it.

Are you certain it’s the sugar per se that is causing your trouble? If I eat stuffing (store bought), it will give me a migraine, and if I eat cranberry sauce it might also give me a migraine but not because it is sweet but because of the cranberry. Sugar alone should not have a negative effect really … unless massive glucose or insulin surges were somehow a trigger for you. Your brain relies on glucose for fuel. It will not burn anything else unless you are in advanced stages of starvation.

The high sugars link may be a red herring because if you eat a boiled white potato your blood glucose will spike much more than if you eat a teaspoon full of raw table sugar. You read that correctly. The carbohydrate in foods like jasmine rice or white potato break down more rapidly into glucose. Next time you eat rice, try using Basmati rice only. It’s low GI and might also be easier on your stomach. Legumes are also great low GI carbs; unfortunately, many of them are migraine triggers. You could test this out and see how you go on the various beans such as kidney and butter beans. They may be OK for you.

Honey is a good alternative sweetener too and is low GI (because it is mainly fructose). Honey is not a migraine trigger.

Best … Scott 8)