Ballenger's Otorhinolarynglogy online-Good Descript. of MAV

The section on MAV begins on p.318. Good to show to the non-believing docs who think that migraines always equal headaches.

http://tiny.cc/z3ifu

Thanks for the link!

Nice one.

Scott :slight_smile:

Wow, this is a really good article. I like that they distinguish the types of tinnitus. I have been telling doctors that my tinnitus is in my head as opposed to in my ears and I don’t know if they get it, ha ha. I guess it is kind of hard to get unless you experience it. I may print this out and bring it with me to my next doctor’s appointment. My neuro is great, but it is also great to have an article that really describes me.

Bingo Amy. THANK YOU for saying that about the tinnitis! That’s exactly how it is for me - it “sounds” like it’s actually behind my forehead and diffusing out to the ears

Gosh I LOVE this forum - it’s my 15 minutes of understanding that helps get me through the day :smiley:

Good on you Amy. Must drive some of these neuros bonkers when we arrive with info they don’t yet know and they have to play catch up. Gotta love the internet.

S :slight_smile:

Dizzytink – I finally had a good read through this article and it’s fantastic. It even describes how mine started with what seemed like an attack of vestibular neuritis. After reading this I’m wondering if I ever had VN, though it’s not clear if they say it is or isn’t VN in this case or could it have been the way migraine can begin with an eruption like a volcano. Hard to believe I didn’t have VN though, because I had many other things gong on such as fever, burning in both ears, and huge lethargy. I’m not sure migraine would explain why I can’t play a guitar without feeling freaked out either. Seems more like left over VN damage … but who knows.

Hannah, I know this also applies to you. Here’s what they say:

— Begin quote from ____

Careful questioning may reveal the primary attack to be consistent with vestibular neuritis and a prolonged compensation period.Postvestibular neuritis BPPV may have also been present and caused exacerbation of anxieties related to vestibular function.

— End quote

I had both of those. Damn.

I think he is saying that while MAV can begin with a “big bang” attack, MAV can also follow VN and BPPV, as the person experiencing those conditions develops a full-blown anxiety disorder from the stress of the condition and then chronic MAV as a result. ( I guess MAV is really neurotransmitters setting up an anarchy inside your head, rather than a nice, smooth-running democracy! lol.) He said on looking at the person’s other symptoms, one can distinguish whether it was a “big bang” migraine onset, or a VN onset. I am guessing if there were symptoms like fever etc, then it would be more likely to have been VN that initially triggered the ensuing MAV condition.

Tink,

I like your “Big Bang” theory. I think that most likely applies to me (and Hannah). He says this:

— Begin quote from ____

Indeed, in the susceptible patient, a peripheral vestibular insult such as vestibular neuritis may be a sufficient stressor [understatement of the century there] to provoke the onset of vestibular migraine.

— End quote

Yes, in your case it seemed like the prolonged stress of VN and then BPPV brought out the latent MAV. I think that VN does a number on one’s autonomic nervous system as you are in fight or flight mode every time you move your head. Your brain interprets this as if you are on a cliff and just about to fall off. I know I would get woken up with heart palpitations probably just by moving my head in my sleep. Living with that kind of stress on one’s system for a long period of time is going to mess with the neurochemicals big time.

For me, it’s less clear if mine was a straight up migraine the whole time or VN got sandwiched in there somewhere between BPPV and migraine.

I think I had BPPV first which was triggered from doing prolonged backbends in yoga, and concurrently, I was stressed about school, work, and relationship etc. Phase two was continuation of the BPPV stuff, but then I also began to experience spacey feelings and moments of depersonalization then this was followed by a really bad cold and I noticed my ears started to get full after about two weeks into the cold, and I began to get the false sense of motion. Then my big bang with non-stop vertigo and nausea occurred the day after I had ear candling done by the acupuncturist; it could also have been the result of the herbs she gave me, because there were all these weird slimy things floating around in the tea I was supposed to drink. Sounds like there were some big no-nos on Buchholz diet list in that concoction! :smiley:

— Begin quote from ____

there were all these weird slimy things floating around in the tea I was supposed to drink …

— End quote

LOL. That really made me laugh! :lol:

— Begin quote from “scott”

I think this Big Bang term you’ve coined is the best thing I’ve heard in years. Sometimes the world of MAV feels like living in a parallel universe. :shock:

— End quote

These two sentences are my reality. It is such a great way of describing things.

Feb. 17, 2009 was my Big Bang day and I’ve been in that parallel universe ever since.

Thanks for that Scott, A “parallel universe!” That made me laugh. It allowed me to look at this whole thing for at least 15 seconds, with the detachment of a Buddhist master. :smiley: But really, I think it is key not to take yourself or It, so seriously. And I say “It” with a capital I! And even if you can only do that for 15 seconds a day, that’s still a step in the right direction. But being an anxious personality to start with, as many of us are on here, bright and highly–strung like a Stradivarius, it’s going to be harder, but even more necessary.