Baloh responds to an article doubting MAV

Hi All,

This reads like the who’s who of migraine gurus who stand behind this.

Michael von Brevern
Robert W. Baloh
Alexandre Bisdorff
Thomas Brandt
Adolfo M. Bronstein
Joseph M. Furman
Peter J. Goadsby
Hannelore Neuhauser
Robert Koch
Andrea Radtke
Maurizio Versino

When I read that I thought, “yeah right”.

The good news is that Baloh and colleagues have hit back with a wide range of evidence to back them up. Here’s some of what they said:

— Begin quote from ____

These studies taken together leave no doubt that there is a strong link between vertigo and migraine. Menière’s disease and BPPV are two vestibular disorders frequently comorbid with migraine. Besides these classical neuro-otological disorders, vestibular migraine has emerged as a distinct clinical entity, affecting approximately 1% of the general population and manifesting with spontaneous vertigo, positional vertigo and head-motion vertigo. Vestibular migraine can be usually distinguished from Menière’s disease as hearing loss is lacking. The vestibular origin of vestibular migraine has been ascertained by the observation of pathological nystagmus during the acute phase of vestibular migraine, indicating significant central vestibular dysfunction in most cases and mild central vestibular dysfunction in the interictal phase.

These findings separate vestibular migraine from dizziness because of psychiatric disorders, side effects of antimigraine drugs, and orthostatic hypotension. Recent basic research has suggested a pathophysiological explanation for some of the features of vestibular migraine.

— End quote

In other words folks, if we do the maths, 1% of the population has migrainous vertigo. That means in the US where the population is about 300 million, at least 3 million people have MAV. In Australia that number would be approximately 220,000, in Canada about 300,000 and in the UK around 620,000. There’s millions of us stumbling around in a haze.

Scott 8)

Pffft. Who are these MAV doubting clowns? Let’s get a posse of our millions of fellow sufferers together and go knock some sense into them.

— Begin quote from "scott"

In Australia that number would be approximately 220,000, in Canada about 300,000 and in the UK around 620,000.

Scott 8)

— End quote

and here I was thinking we were special :lol:

— Begin quote from ____

and here I was thinking we were special

— End quote

About as special as a head of cabbage. Note: the cabbage probably has better balance and doesn’t dope up on valium. :lol:

Only because it doesn’t have arms.

Interesting note that says “Recent basic research has suggested a pathophysiological explanation for some of the features of vestibular migraine”.
Does that have anything to do with the virus association? Am I understanding that right?
Kelley

Two thoughts.

First, as a free-floating labyrinthine particle myself, I resent the suggestion of migraine’s nonsignificance.

Second, I was thinking of quoting Tooby and Cosmides’s learned observation, “After all, 3-pound cauliflowers do not learn, but 3-pound brains do.” – but I decided to leave Scott’s reference to vegetables standing.

Thanks guys, you’ve given me my first chuckle of the day :lol:

Here’s the article the reply was aimed at. Also, the reply is now up as well. S

Where’s the reply?

The reply is the very first post at the beginning of this topic… I had to check, too!
Gail

Lol
Blonde moment
Or mav moment
Thanks Gail!

LOL LOL LOL… In my case, Stupamax/Dopamax moment !!
Gail

LOL. You guys are back on the cheap stuff again aren’t you? I should have explained that what happens in these science journals is that most issues will have a “letters to the editor” type section. This was not so much a reply as a “response” to the former article put out by Phillips et al.

S

I’m pleased to see that my doc is listed along with Baloh. :wink: