The Migraine Associated Vertigo Community
Read our welcome post, user support wiki & visit our member recommended products page

Biomarker for VM & MD - This is a big deal!

This is huge, hopefully they are able to translate this into a lab test of some kind.

Conclusion

Patients with MD or VM have a different pro-inflammatory signature. A cytokine panel including IL- 1β, CCL3, CCL22, and CXCL1 could be used as biological markers for the differential diagnosis of VM and MD.

3 Likes

Cytokines are a large group of proteins , peptides or glycoproteins that are secreted by specific cells of immune system . Cytokines are a category of signaling molecules that mediate and regulate immunity , inflammation and hematopoiesis.

1 Like

Ooh, speak nerd to me! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ok, I was being snarky, but that’s simply fascinating.

2 Likes

Great find, I think. Once you’ve got it sorted it in your own mind perhaps you could translate it for lesser mortals, like me? Helen

2 Likes

VM has proven to be an inflammatory disease. So has MD. Though VM and MD share common symptoms and biomarkers, blood tests can for the first time distinguish between VM and MD. They may also be used to reliably diagnose VM and MD. As in throw out the waste basket diagnosis, there may soon be a blood test. And, we can start targeting inflammatory proteins as a potential cause. That suggests new treatment options.

4 Likes

Now you are talking. Wonder how ‘soon’ soon might be. Then there’s the cure to find. Trouble is we’re none of us getting any younger. Helen

2 Likes

Well right. It may not help us. But my kid is so much like me metabolically. It might save him a lot of suffering and heartache.

And pointing towards inflammatory proteins in the immune system is a whole new path that might give us VM targeted treatment instead of shooting in the dark and hoping some med designed for other things has lucky side effects for us. Plus reducing inflammation tends to be a lower side effect affair (except steroids).

1 Like

Born too soon me. That’s me. I always knew it.

Only just noticed

That ’episodic’ word again. Oh I wish! I never cease to be amazed at the variety within the MAV spectrum. Episodic versus chronic for one then there are people who go snowboarding, holidaying and boat trips, flying, running 5K, weight lifting and others who walk with a stick or feel so unstable they are contemplating using a wheelchair. How can there be such variation. I suspect that too might have genetic roots in such things as what quality of balance or eyesight or other relevant function they did or didn’t inherit. Helen

5 Likes

ha ha…that cracked me up :slight_smile:

I suspect VM hides a broad range of related disorders, or comes in phenotypes. PCOS has four presentations.

1 Like

Update from Dr.Hain’s blog

Thus CGRP interacts with TNF-alpha, a cytokine, which is thought to modulate Meniere’s disease. One would think that TNF-alpha inhibitors used for autoimmune disease, such as rheumatoid arthritis, might thus then reduce migraine as well. It is well known that migraine and Meniere’s disease are associated with each other. Perhaps these drugs also work in a subset of Meniere’s disease.

1 Like

Hi @GetBetter, can you provide the URL for that quote?

Hi Anna,

Here you go

https://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/central/migraine/treatments/CGRP.html

1 Like

Yet again ‘inflammation’ comes up!

yes from a systemic perspective and not peripheral

Well I’m convinced peripheral inflammation Is the cause of my issues. Perhaps for others it’s a systemic problem. But inflammation is the common element it seems.

2 Likes