Blood Sugar, Cortisol, fluey feeling

My friend has improved a lot on Hydrocortisone, her daily dizziness gone and not one vertigo attack for the years she has been on it (low dose daily).

I suffer with daily blood sugar attacks (my glucometer frequently says anything between 2.8 and 3.9 and I have all the symptoms with it.

I have had several adrenal saliva cortisol tests over the years, each one, always shows low cortisol at lunchtime. I just did another one and wrote what I did (exercise) and how I felt throughout the day. I did one hour of cleaning in the morning with my heartrate (102) and sweating. My lunchtime cortisol was down out of the range. In the evening I ended up looking for someones lost cat and went into exhaustion, my nightime cortisol was under the range

I am about to try a preventative and looked up the cortisol and sugar connection with these drugs in the hope of finding out why some drugs suit some people and not others. The clue may be that Cymbalta and Effexor raise blood sugar and I believe, cortisol. They also can cause insomnia (this would tie in with raising the cortisol at night when it is meant to be low to sleep).

I think we need to gain more information on what the preventative drugs actually do in terms of sleep, blood sugar, cortisol, depression, etc. and try to work out which one will suit us best, seeing as the drs. dont seem to be bothered.

Wondered if anyone else has any more information about what effexor or cymbalta or verapamil do to our bodies, or perhaps could look some stuff up (Scott, I know you do this, can you find out more) then we might be in a better position to choose the correct drug for each one of us.

Christine

I realize this is old but no one responded to it and it is very interesting. I am currently trying to find out if low cortisol may be a reason for my MAV symptoms. I wonder how many people have tried hydrocortisone for their vertigo?

It is interesting that some of the MAV meds may elevate cortisol and blood sugar.

I would love to hear more about your friend’s symptoms and treatment and if you ever pursued your low cortisol and blood sugar issues.

Julie

Julie,

I have once thought that low cortisol could be part of the problem too. I didn’t know about this thread, but i do think some here should dive into this topic a bit. There could be something here!

Greg

Well, I did testing for low cortisol and it came back within range but barely. I did a blood test and saliva testing. Low within range is called adrenal fatigue. So, I am going to see a naturopathic doctor for adrenal fatigue treatment. Whether this is part of the problem or not I don’t know for sure. But it certainly couldn’t hurt to treat it and see what happens.

It is interesting that low cortisol can contribute to vertigo/dizziness, vision problems, blood sugar problems, anxiety, nervousness, brain fog, cognitive issues, tinnitus and fatigue as well as other symptoms.

Here is a list of symptoms - I have all except one or two of them.

http://www.aboutadrenalfatigue.com/symptoms-of-adrenal-fatigue/

Low cortisol can also cause one to have hypothyroid symptoms - a lot of which are the same as those for adrenal fatigue. This is because the body cannot use the thyroid hormone properly without enough cortisol. That is why adrenals should be treated before thyroid.

Julie

I too have very low cortisol and ACTH. My Endo does not want to treat at this point. My coritisol at 8:00 am is like 2 points above normal. I’ve been on Cymbalta for a few weeks and feel sooooo much better. Not 100% but much better.

Hi Julie,

Yes, that was my post, cant believe that was 3 years ago! Yes, my friend used to get bad migraines and severe vertigo attacks and a lot of dizziness. Hydrocortisone has cured her severe vertigo and she only gets mild dizziness nowadays when her cortisol is low, taking more hydrocortisone solves it. She suffers with reactive hypoglycemia also and the hydrocortisone keeps her cortisol levels up and also helps her sleep at night. I tried the hydrocortisone several times, but it made me sleepy and dizzy, my friend says I wasnt taking enough, it gets out of your system quite quickly so you get the dips. It all gets so complicated, the connection between the cortisol, the adrenaline, low blood sugar, the thyroid connection etc. I did go to a private dr. and took his findings to the NHS but they poo pooed it. I dont really like messing around with thyroid medication and steroids unless I was being monitored properly so I left it.

Christine