Can someone remind me what normal is?

Though I’m not debilitated in any great fashion, I’m still having daily bouts of dizziness, get lost in the middle of conversations - sometimes only briefly - and sometimes long enough that I’ve learned to just change the subject. I’m still at a point where placing myself in a horizontal position is enough to encourage myself to fall asleep. I sleep almost 12 hours per day. I’ve quit taking my diazepam for back spasms (and vertigo) to see if all of these sxs would continue…and they do, at the same degree . Fluorscent lights are a guaranteed brain fogger, creator of confusion.

Tomorrow I see my neuro - probably to review how the meds are doing. I don’t get room spins anymore. The fog, for the most part and except this week, is gone. No more auras…but now there IS head pain with weather change?!

What can i expect, at this point? Have I reached my new ‘normal’? Is this as far as it goes? Do I tell the guy, ‘Thanks for the Verapamil - it has made things more bearable?’ Or is it reasonable to insist on better?!

of course, you can insist on better. People usually increase the dose of their med or either add another med to get even better. that is a great sign, though, that the verapamil has helped you thus far. ARe you able to increase the dose some more.

— Begin quote from “marie-johanne”

Though I’m not debilitated in any great fashion, I’m still having daily bouts of dizziness, get lost in the middle of conversations - sometimes only briefly - and sometimes long enough that I’ve learned to just change the subject. I’m still at a point where placing myself in a horizontal position is enough to encourage myself to fall asleep. I sleep almost 12 hours per day. I’ve quit taking my diazepam for back spasms (and vertigo) to see if all of these sxs would continue…and they do, at the same degree . Fluorscent lights are a guaranteed brain fogger, creator of confusion.

Tomorrow I see my neuro - probably to review how the meds are doing. I don’t get room spins anymore. The fog, for the most part and except this week, is gone. No more auras…but now there IS head pain with weather change?!

What can i expect, at this point? Have I reached my new ‘normal’? Is this as far as it goes? Do I tell the guy, ‘Thanks for the Verapamil - it has made things more bearable?’ Or is it reasonable to insist on better?!

— End quote

What is normal? My normal now is not what my normal was last year and it is definitely not what is was two years ago so what is normal with this disease and to what point can we expect that to change?

Over the last few years my symptoms have changed and then changed some more but is it all due to Mav or are hormones playing a part , no one seems to be able to answer that question.
And yes if I lay down I will go to sleep I have to force myself to not take naps or nightime sleep is most interrupted.

I think the question you have to answer is are you comfortbale with your new normal or do you want to try and regain what once was normal for you. And then go forward…How long have you been on the Verapamil it may need more time to reach the level to get you near “normal” again.

Nance is very much normal taking it but it took a while for her to reach that point and up the dosage to where she it now.