CBT for MAV?

It’s often reassuring to know one isn’t unique. You’ll find irritability actually listed as part of migraine syndrome on any related website, I’m not naturally an irritable person, thanks I suspect to the genes I inherited from my Dad so I was surprised when I made the link with myself. Suddenly it became so obvious to me it’s a signal attack is imminent now. Some people get aura (I have very occasionally recently) but I always get really grumpy beforehand, and then feel really tired and washed out for few days afterwards. Helen

1 Like

My first neurologist recommended “Mind Over Mood,” a well-known self-help book for depression and anxiety that is based on CBT methods:

(NB from admin: these images link to products members have found helpful and at the same time help fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!)

“Mind Over Mood”
More recommended books here

The authors write: “Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is based on the philosophy that people can learn to be their own therapist.” So—one doesn’t necessarily need to attend sessions with a therapist to access the benefits of CBT. There are many resources available if one is willing to engage with them. This takes some motivation and commitment, but I think there are few on earth who would not benefit from CBT in some form.

3 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation, Lorissa.

This is the book I used. It comes with audio files. The narrator has an extremely soothing style I ended up really appreciating:

(NB from admin: these images link to products members have found helpful and at the same time help fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!)

“The MIndful Way through Depression”
More recommended books here

Thank you, i will look into it.

There is also a “Mind Over Mood” website the authors have created that contains many resources that are accessible for free:
https://www.mindovermood.com

Included are recommendations for other books and free resources in a variety of media (video, audio, etc.).

3 Likes

I’m always interested in the wider historical aspects of the various treatments available to us. Most were not around for our forefathers. As anxiety goes hand in hand with VM for many people it’s surprising more don’t report back on CBT. It’s something that might be worth a second look so I thought to bring it to the fore once again as the founder Dr Aaron Beck, has recently died aged 100.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10175117/Debt-owe-man-brought-millions-brink.html

1 Like

As someone who has had issues with depression and anxiety for over a decade and suspects it may be one of the reasons behind the dizziness this is something to look into.

2 Likes

Gonna ask a dumb question but does one attend CBT sessions while dizzy? Or they have to wait until they’re dizzy free or the meds start working?

Any time.

I had 24/7 symptoms when I attended.

Obviously it’s impossible to attend if you are in bed in the middle of a basilar-like migraine attack.

1 Like

Due to Covid Most here in U.K. have gone over to being entirely on line and apparently they are now gearing up to continue that way for the foreseeable however might be different with you. However after many years of VM I’d say it’s best never to wait to do anything ‘until dizzy free’. Read my post above dated March 2019 for one experience I had but I’d say before attending in person you need to carry out a thorough reconnaissance to see if you think you can cope and, if so, go for it. Medical conditions tend to just get worse whilst we are ‘waiting’.