Comparing cheeses

I wonder what folks’ experience is with various cheeses.

I was advised not to eat “aged” cheese. I haven’t touched hard cheeses since, or blu.

As cottage cheese was explicitly okayed, I’ve been eating lots. I found a brand, Friendship, that contains no worrisome ingredients and is available in a 1% milkfat version.

I’ve also been eating American cheese, as it too got the high sign. However, I wonder whether my use of lowfat, non-fat. sharp, and “cheddar-flavor” American cheese, or cheesoid, as I think of it, is a factor that keeps me below par. They do have many more cockamamie ingredients than full-fat plain American. What do you think?

Cream cheese is yummy and recommended as safe, but much richer than I want to load my arteries with, so even with neuchatel I go relatively lightly. Fat-free cream cheese didn’t seem to cause me a problem mixed with a larger quantity of neuchatel in cheesecake. However, it’s ingredients seem so iffy that I’ve tended to avoid it.

I tried a relatively young-looking mozzarella, with somewhat uncertain effects, and have not returned to it.

“Fresh mozzarella,” the yummy stuff that’s sold in brine, seems promising. Anybody have experience with it?

How about feta?

Brie, camembert, soft goat cheese?

I’m asking as a sometime turophile, and as someone who prefers not to eat a whole lot of meat, so I’m particularly interested if you have experience with consuming significant quantities of these.

Thanks

I have no trouble with soft goats cheese, and eat it regularly as it replaces the ham I used to have on my sandwiches.

That being said last night I had “trigger pizza” - home made but with ham, pineapple and capricosa (kinda like mozzarella) and 2 (large!) glasses of white wine and I feel no different today than yesterday. I have been avoiding all aged cheeses which is a bit of a bummer as last year I really started to get into cheese making…I do really miss labna though (yoghurt cheese). I used to eat that a lot and it was very easy to make.

I never touch low/no fat stuff - I’m a full fat all the way kinda girl :lol: At least with full fat stuff tends to have less chemicals and be less processed (well the things I buy) Having said that though at my last round of blood tests my gp said my cholesterol ratios were spectacular and to keep on doing what I was doing. So in some cases a bit of what you like is good for you…that plus being one of the luckier ones in the genetic lottery on this side of things at least!

— Begin quote from “lorcalon”

That being said last night I had “trigger pizza” - home made but with ham, pineapple and capricosa (kinda like mozzarella) and 2 (large!) glasses of white wine and I feel no different today than yesterday.

Wow! A celebration? Birthday?

I have been avoiding all aged cheeses which is a bit of a bummer as last year I really started to get into cheese making…I do really miss labna though (yoghurt cheese). I used to eat that a lot and it was very easy to make.

Yah. Yummy stuff.

Thanks for the feedback re goat cheese.

— End quote

Nope- no celebration just pure laziness - I couldn’t be bothered to think creatively about a less “trigger happy” meal after a long day in the garden :lol:

Oh and I forgot to say I do occasionally eat feta (mostly goat feta) and haven’t identified any reactions to it

— Begin quote from “lorcalon”

Nope- no celebration just pure laziness - I couldn’t be bothered to think creatively about a less “trigger happy” meal after a long day in the garden :lol:

Oh and I forgot to say I do occasionally eat feta (mostly goat feta) and haven’t identified any reactions to it

— End quote

o wow o wow.

I’d LOVE to be able to try feta. We went out to a Green diner with family recently, and the only item I could find on the menu that I knew to be safe was a burger with sauteed 'shrooms.

Okay, feta goes on the “try-it” list as soon as my head clears.

Yay

(Meanwhile my sweetie was enjoying a scrumptious-looking spanakopita.)