Day Light Savings

Simply put, I hate daylight savings. It takes me forever to adjust, and during that time, my balance suffers. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. Can I go back to bed and sleep that time that I lost? :mrgreen:

Brian

Well I love it. Winter sucks to begin with and long, dark days do not help me emotionally. I just got up earlier and went to bed at my normal time. No biggie.

The days are just as short in the winter with or without the daylight savings. The only real difference is that because of the time shift, we actually lose an hour in the morning, and gain an hour in the evening. In sleep terms, that means that you are going to bed an hour earlier, and getting up an hour later. Your body has to adjust to the change in sleep patterns, and those of us with migraine problems, that can cause problems.

What most of the population sees as the change is that the sun is up later so they get to do outdoor activities later. The sun may appaer to stay up later in the evening, but it also rises later in the morning. You don’t save electricity, because that hour in the evening that you aren’t using your lights, you are using them in the morning.

The only thing that changes is our sleep pattern. We could achieve the exact same results by telling everyone that they had to go into work or school an hour earlier, go home an hour earlier, and have an extra hour at the end of the day to do what ever with. The catch is that they lose an hour of sleep.

It may only be an hour, but it is enough to cause me (and a whole lot of other people according to many studies) sleep problems.

Now don’t get me wrong, if they would just make up their mind and say that we are going to be on this time schedule permanent, and nobody has to change their sleep shcedule twice a year would be fine by me.

I hear ya, Brian, but I still like it. I prefer it to be lighter out later in the day when I get home from work and darker in the morning when I am going and don’t care. I didn’t dwell on it re: my own sleep patterns with the MAV other than just changing the clocks and going to bed when I normally do (as in, I figured there’s not much I can do about it anyway!) :slight_smile:

— Begin quote from “Brian B”

Simply put, I hate daylight savings. It takes me forever to adjust, and during that time, my balance suffers. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. Can I go back to bed and sleep that time that I lost? :mrgreen:
Brian

— End quote

AMEN BROTHER!! It’s gonna take me at least a month to get used to this. Who came up with this idea in the first place??
I know the ‘why’ … but I bet the person who instigated this didn’t have kids who had to wait for the bus in the dark … or get up before dawn to go to the office!

Sorry bcrelief but I’m with Brian on this one!

— Begin quote from “joy”

AMEN BROTHER!! It’s gonna take me at least a month to get used to this. Who came up with this idea in the first place??
I know the ‘why’ … but I bet the person who instigated this didn’t have kids who had to wait for the bus in the dark … or get up before dawn to go to the office!

Sorry bcrelief but I’m with Brian on this one!

— End quote

If I remember my history classes correctly, Benjamin Franklin originally came up with the idea as a method to increase retail business hours, but it never went through in his era. Can’t remember who or when it became implemented in the US other than after WWII.

Brian

The only thing I wanna hear from Ben Franklin is how much he likes being in my wallet! :lol: )

Brian,

I can feel the time change too!! I feel “off” today. Because of the time change, I slept later yesterday, and couldn’t fall asleep last night. I know a lot of the mothers at the school today said that their kids had a hard time falling asleep at their usual time last night. I know mine did.

Nance

I honestly don’t know how people can lay down at any time and fall asleep. I have to be tired to fall asleep, and my body works on a clock so I get tired close to the same time every night. I just can’t go to sleep an hour earlier just because we set our clocks to a different time.

Then comes time to get up, and my body still thinks it is a different time and refuses to get up that hour earlier. :x

Why don’t we just tell the people that want that extra hour of sunlight to get up an hour earlier and go enjoy their morning? That way the rest of us don’t have to struggle to change their sleep and body schedule. :wink:

Brian

Brian, I am with you!! I went to bed an hour ealier the night before to try and adjust, and it still ended up messing me up. My progess at 90% immediately shot down to 75% for that day after, and only today am I back to my usual 90% but it will definitely take me a while to adjust. I sleep late so I don’t mind an extra hour of light in the evening but the SWITCH is killer!!

Rich

— Begin quote from “Brian B”

I honestly don’t know how people can lay down at any time and fall asleep. I have to be tired to fall asleep, and my body works on a clock so I get tired close to the same time every night. I just can’t go to sleep an hour earlier just because we set our clocks to a different time.
Then comes time to get up, and my body still thinks it is a different time and refuses to get up that hour earlier. :x
Why don’t we just tell the people that want that extra hour of sunlight to get up an hour earlier and go enjoy their morning? That way the rest of us don’t have to struggle to change their sleep and body schedule. :wink:
Brian

— End quote

My feelings EXACTLY! My husb & dad can both lay down anywhere, anytime & go to sleep. I have to have dark & quiet & be drugged before I can sleep anytime other than on my usual schedule.

I’m gonna ‘google’ Daylight Savings Time & see who came up with it … so that I know who’s picture to throw darts at.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_savings_time

Some dude initially promoted Daylight Savings Time in the U.S. because he didn’t want to have ‘sundown’ interrupt his golf game.
Looks like it was most recently implemented in 1987. It’s unbelieveable what’s behind this! Read the section in the article titled Politics.

I’m sorry to hear that it affects you guys so dramatically. All I can say is I think it is something you can probably teach yourself. I mean, I just stayed in bed my normal time and went to bed at night the normal time, although it took me longer to fall asleep. I much prefer having light at the end of the day. I’m sure you know about serotonin and how it related to MAV, so unless you get up early enough in the morning to get light then, I would think that having more light at the end of the day would be helpful to you. I know it doesn’t fix the problem of the sleep patterns though. However, I don’t sleep through the night anyway, so there ya go! :slight_smile:

As long as I’m wishin’, I think I’ll wish for a bunch of money so that I don’t have to work in the first place. I could just sleep when it’s dark & get up when it’s light …

Sorry for being such a gripey-pants, bcrelief. I’m sure I’ll adjust … eventually … wooooooe is meeeeee … :mrgreen: