Delayed Reaction To Triggers

I used the excellent Search facility on this forum before starting this new thread but virtually the only comments I could find were ones Iā€™d made myself so, for the sake of myself and maybe posterity, I would be interested to know how common delayed reactions to triggers really are.

Iā€™m almost sure this delayed reaction is linked to triggers being culmulative in nature although it seems odd to be that mine always seem to be delayed by 36 hours! I also feel delayed triggers were a bane to me in that they stopped me linking possible cause and effect in many cases for years. Just maybe if Iā€™d noticed a link earlier a GP might have just made a connection to ā€˜Migraineā€™ and Iā€™d have git a diagnosis ten years earlier,

I have no way of knowing exactly how many of my early episodic vertigo (MAV) attacks occurred 36 hours after Eating Out with a crowd in a restaurant but suspect the vast majority. It was years before I made the connection although I did make it before the very first time I really felt ill in the restaurant and stood up so dizzy I had to be helped outside in the car. Later attacks occurring in supermarkets brought on virtually immediate dizziness. Even after Iā€™d been 24/7 dizzy for almost a year and was sent for MRI, the following eight days in bed attack didnā€™t start until exactly 36 hours post MRI. In spite of the added stresses of that day where we had had to get up before 5.00 am, travel, in the brightest imaginable winter sunshine with me wearing two pairs of dark glasses and hidden under a bath towel whilst navigating (those days, no SatNav) , 80 miles each way and then around a totally unfamiliar town, plus the new experience of the MRI - more triggers I could never have found on one trip out - I travelled home, and for more than 24 hours imagined Iā€™d got away with it, then BAM. The neuro-otologist under whose direction I had travelled was convinced because of the time delay there was no connection and it must have been just coincidence. Shows how much he knew about the practicalities of ā€˜living with MAVā€™! Left me wondering how common delayed reactions to triggers really are though. Helen

Hi. I scanned your post, I canā€™t read a lot during a migraine, but I understand exactly what you are saying.
At my Dr.'s advice Iā€™m reading, and following, the ā€œHeal Your Headache The 1, 2, 3 Programā€ and he mentions the delayed reaction to triggers repeatedly in the sections Iā€™ve been able to read. Itā€™s a very real thing, and one of the biggest things he comments on repeatedly is that you know your triggers, trust in what you have learned.
I have yet to learn what my delayed triggers are, Iā€™m a complete newbie to the ā€œdetectiveā€ aspect of VM - though Iā€™ve years of experience predicting when a bad spell is going to hit, I can feel them coming, but canā€™t explain how.
But supermarkets I completely understand, there are days I simply canā€™t go in a store, and if I have to go in, even if for one item I need to get a shopping cart, because Iā€™ll be staggering before I leave. My ā€˜dizzyā€™ is extreme imbalance, a tilting sensation, garbled speech, vision problems, major tinnitus/ear pressure, and feeling like Iā€™ve been hit in the back of the head with a bat. Iā€™ll still take it over the severe vertigo episodes that I lived with from 1999 to 2012, thatā€™s when it switched up on me.
I think they are way more common than some Dr.'s are ready/willing to admit. If you havenā€™t read the book I recommend it, Iā€™m learning so much from it.

1 Like

Hi and welcome to this board. Glad you felt able to join in the conversation. Pleased you are finding the book helpful. Lots do. Iā€™ve never got around to reading it as yet. Most probably because I donā€™t experience the headaches personally although that apart you and I seem to have very similar MAV histories/experiences.

So the author states

Trouble is triggers arenā€™t always consistent. They vary possibly because tolerance threshold levels vary and because they can be cumulative. This means itā€™s no exact science Iā€™m afraid. Itā€™s certainly worth investigation though and some are quite easy to identify and avoid/control. Helen

1 Like