Diagnosed but untreated VM

Hi, I’m new here. I was diagnosed with migraines aged 7, I also have Ehlers Danlos hypermobility type and therefore have a lot of issues with my neck which trigger migraines. I was diagnosed with VM when pregnant although I now realise I had milder symptoms for years. Because I was pregnant and then breastfeeding I’ve never been offered any treatment apart from being told to drink lots of water and take paracetamol/ibuprofen which doesn’t help as I often don’t have a headache with it. Regular massage had been helping with the neck issues and so controlling it a bit but I am unable to access this at the moment.

My next hospital appointment has just been pushed back almost a year due to the pandemic and I am at a loss as to what to do until then.

I am having a flare up at the moment - visual problems, feeling like I am on a boat, unbalanced, nausea, vomiting, anxiety, brain fog, sensitivity to noise and smell etc. I am still breastfeeding a couple of times a day for short periods (hoping to fully wean soon but it’s not been easy!) I sleep very poorly after a long time of my baby waking every 2 hours. I still wake all through the night even though he now sleeps through which I suspect is a contributing factor.

Is there anything safe to take while still breastfeeding or any other strategies I can use beyond drinking water?! Thank you.

Hi and welcome. Post partum onset is unfortunately common as is symptom increase with existing condition. You could do worse than a thorough search of this site. Lots of info. Read up on the lifestyle choices and certainly quit caffeine and try a Migraine Diet and ask your doctor for a migraine preventative. There are many but choice will be limited by you still breastfeeding. However I expect there must be something out there to suit. Plenty of walks I the fresh air with baby should help both with balance, general fitness and confidence. Preventatives can take weeks/months to fully work so I would discuss with your doctor as soon as possible. Presumably you are NHS and no access by telephone to consultant. Alternative is try for private appointment if you can afford it but really as you have a diagnosis your own doctor should do OK. Give them a ring next working day. Bit of good news I ran bit of a check and apparently you can take Amitriptyline whilst breastfeeding. That’s a good drug for this. Many consultants favourite. Top of the Pops with the NHS. And it will help you sleep too. If you have a choice consider it. Of course it’s up to your doctor and only available on prescription.