Diamox Vs. Topamax

I was rx’d Diamox. But then Dr. Hain said that I will have the same problems with Diamox as they are the same.
Pharmacist said… NO. That is like saying, you dont do well with Zoloft, so you cant try Paxil. Makes sense.
But who better to ask then you all… Has anyone tried both, or know anyone who has.

Thanks!
Kgirl

Really, nobody knows.?

I’m afraid I know nothing about using Diamox for migraine prevention. A google search only pulled up a 2002 trial that was abandoned due to a high rate of side-effects:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11985388

It isn’t listed in Scott’s handy migraine medication chart either. That doesn’t mean it wouldn’t help, but I’m afraid the since my doc was an evidence-based doc (i.e. he only liked to use meds that had passed multiple trials) we only worked with meds that were on that chart.

Diamox was prescribed for me for Intracranial Hypertension, which was a temporary condition after I had my spinal leak repaired. It is very effective at reducing Intracranial pressure. Topamax also reduces ICP, but it also has other properties that help with irritation to the vagus nerve.

Diamox, does have unpleasant side effects, but if it made your head feel better, it could mean high ICP.

Make sure to drink plenty of fluid. Eat potassium rich foods.

Thanks. I just wish I knew if it was going to give me the same SE as topamax. I hated Topamax and will NEVER try it again, so if diamox is close, Im screwed.
:frowning:

They are alot different,

Diamox is a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor. Carbonic anhydrase is a protein in your body. Acetazolamide reduces the activity of this protein. It is often used to treat Glaucoma

Topamx is a seizure medication, also called an anticonvulsant. It is used to treat seizures.