Discouraged

I have been taking 10 mg of nortryptaline for about a week now and I was doing much better of late after a horrible 4 months of daily migraine, dizziness and tinnitus. I am also on 30 mg of Cymbalta. Doctor told me to up the dose of nort to 20mg after one week. So on Friday night I took the 20, had a dead to the world sleep, woke up extremely sedated until way past noon, then got a doozy of a migraine. Decided NOT to take the 20 last night and went back to the 10. Slept not too bad, woke up once, and woke up to my aura (numbness, tingling, heavy arms and legs, phantom smells) with a headache in the afternoon. I know I should be giving the new dose a chance but it seems like as soon as I took the extra I got the headache back worse than what I had before!

I am SO discouraged!! I was doing so much better the past couple of weeks - maybe 3 migraines a week instead of 6 or 7 and was in such good spirits! I am on disability from my job and thought for sure I could go back soon. Now I dont know. It’s like I take one step forward and then 2 steps back. I am SO tired of all of this! Its amazing too how one finds out who your true friends are. The ones that I thought would be in constant touch barely acknowledge me anymore. It’s like I dropped off the face of the earth. Two friends and my sister have been fantastic. If it wasnt for them I’d be in the looney bin.

I want to back to work, see my friends, feel NORMAL again. At this rate I dont think it will ever happen! I’m bored, frustrated and tired of being in constant migraine! I keep telling myself that it’s only migraine, I’m not going to die from it, I have to accept that I have a chronic pain disease and deal with it but its so darn hard!!

Sorry, I just need to vent to people that understand!

Tamsha,
Please don’t get discouraged. It was really good that you WERE feeling better before upping the Nort. Who says you have to? The doctors don’t know what your particular needs are medicine wise, and if you get to your sweet spot with meds, then just stick with it. Chances are you don’t need to go up…don’t feel pressured. Also, even though it’s “only” 20mg, it is twice what you were taking. You can always go back to baseline with the 10, and give it time…then try 15mg instead of 20…my docs always say low and slow is the key…“sneak” up on the brain so it doesn’t realize it’s getting these meds and can compensate accordingly.
Good luck!
Kelley

I agree with Kelley … go to 15mg first - that’s what I’ve done - but I also stayed at 10mg for 2 weeks and the last 2 nights I’ve gone to 15mg where I will stay for at least a week before hitting 20mg.

Low and slow is def the key and the sneak up approach.

Over the wkend I doubled my dose of Valium - I took 2mg in the morning and 2mg in the afternoon (so 4mg per day) and it was amazing how it dulled everything right down… I was ‘almost’ normal and managed to go out to dinner both Friday and Saturday night and I havent been out in FOUR MONTHS.

I’m convinced Clonazepam/Klonopin is what is going to help me (along with either the Nort or another med) but so far the Nort is not affecting me badly so I’m praying it’ll kick in, in a few wks time.

Stay strong sister x

It is a very discouraging disease :frowning: But hang in there! The upping or downing titrating of meds can really knock you around. Hopefully things will settle for you soon.

Vic