Dizzy 24/7- why?

I’ve been dizzy everyday, all day, for the past 4 months. The degree of dizziness varies from day to day, but it never goes away. When I had migraines, expressed as vicious headaches, there would be a start point and an end point and in between attacks, I would have a somewhat normal life. Does anyone have an explanation for why the dizziness doesn’t go away? I haven’t technically been diagnosed with MAV, but I have all the symptoms.

I am so tired of being dizzy and not having a life that I am wishing for my vicious headaches to return. :roll:
Cat

i used to get bad migraines as you said they came then went. No vertigo and inbetween i was fine. Now since ive had vertigo 24/7 i have no relief from it. I have a headache nothing like a migraine. i havent had a full blown migraine in some years. its a very frustrating illness in all aspects- Heres what another member posted

Cutrer and Baloh suggested that when the dizziness is unrelated to the headache, the dizziness occurs from the release of neuropeptides (ie, neuropeptide substance P, neurokinin A, calcitonin gene–related peptide [CGRP]). Neuropeptide release has an excitatory effect on the baseline firing rate of the sensory epithelium of the inner ear, as well as on the vestibular nuclei in the pons.

Asymmetric neuropeptide release results in the sensation of vertigo. When neuropeptide release is symmetric, the patient feels an increased sensitivity to motion due to an increased vestibular firing rate during head movements. Cutrer and Baloh also proposed that CGRP and other neuropeptides may produce a prolonged hormonelike effect as these peptides diffuse into the extracellular fluid. This may explain the prolonged symptoms in some patients with migraine-associated vertigo, as well as the typical progression of persistent spontaneous vertigo, followed by benign positional vertigo, then motion sensitivity.

This may be an explaniation…I think this illness is still not understood very well and treatment is really hit and miss

thank you very much for explaining that! i wish medical terms could be easier to understand- especially with this brain fog! i’m dizzy 24/7 as well and it sucks. i’ve been like this for 11 months straight but i’ve had mav since i was 10 years old and i’ve never had it last this long. wondering what is different this time around…

— Begin quote from “becd”

i used to get bad migraines as you said they came then went. No vertigo and inbetween i was fine. Now since ive had vertigo 24/7 i have no relief from it. I have a headache nothing like a migraine. i havent had a full blown migraine in some years. its a very frustrating illness in all aspects- Heres what another member posted

Cutrer and Baloh suggested that when the dizziness is unrelated to the headache, the dizziness occurs from the release of neuropeptides (ie, neuropeptide substance P, neurokinin A, calcitonin gene–related peptide [CGRP]). Neuropeptide release has an excitatory effect on the baseline firing rate of the sensory epithelium of the inner ear, as well as on the vestibular nuclei in the pons.

Asymmetric neuropeptide release results in the sensation of vertigo. When neuropeptide release is symmetric, the patient feels an increased sensitivity to motion due to an increased vestibular firing rate during head movements. Cutrer and Baloh also proposed that CGRP and other neuropeptides may produce a prolonged hormonelike effect as these peptides diffuse into the extracellular fluid. This may explain the prolonged symptoms in some patients with migraine-associated vertigo, as well as the typical progression of persistent spontaneous vertigo, followed by benign positional vertigo, then motion sensitivity.

This may be an explaniation…I think this illness is still not understood very well and treatment is really hit and miss

— End quote

Thanks for the explanation. While I can accept that migraine is a genetic disorder, and that certain triggers result in particular symptoms, I’m still trying to get my foggy brain around what has happened to initiate the change in symptoms that has occurred. If a person has not changed genetically, then something has changed chemically or hormonally to trigger vastly different symptoms (vertigo vs headache) from the usual migraine triggers. Anyway, I’m sincerely hoping that a researcher somewhere will come up with an answer and ultimately a treatment.
Cat

1 Like

I too dont quite understand how this happens or what exactly happens when you become dizzy 24/7. I have basically been dizzy 24/7 since June. I have a history of headaches, I have got them for years. Then 2 months after having my baby I went to bed and had slight vertigo, woke up really dizzy and although it has faded, I have been dizzy since then. I have found a tiny bit of relief from medicine but I have only been on it almost 3 weeks now. What Im thinking is we have chronic migraines, that are back to back, causing 24/7 symptoms?

Rebecca
I think I need to be careful what I wish for :frowning: I think I’ll try again next week… Oh yeah, the dizziness did not abate with the headache, so now I know that I don’t have the option of one or the other.

It sounds like your MAV is hormonal - maybe it will improve for you as your system returns to pre-pregnancy levels. Hormone fluctuation was a major trigger for my headaches.

I think we’re in a constant state of migraine activity, which causes motion sensitivity. Until the cycle is broken, we can feel the dizziness, off balance, false motion, rocking, etc. that we all describe. Of course this is the dumbed-down version :slight_smile: My neurologist has said this and it makes sense to me, especially now that I’ve had my cycle of dizziness reduced/stopped twice in the past 2.5 years with two different meds.

The brain is so hypersensitive when its in migraine mode and so we are sensitive to light, smells, sounds, and motion. So it makes sense that for those of us with MAV we are overly sensitive to the motion aspect and until we calm the brain and migraine activity, we’re going to feel the motion and feel like crap.

— Begin quote from “Anne”

I think we’re in a constant state of migraine activity, which causes motion sensitivity. Until the cycle is broken, we can feel the dizziness, off balance, false motion, rocking, etc. that we all describe. Of course this is the dumbed-down version :slight_smile: My neurologist has said this and it makes sense to me, especially now that I’ve had my cycle of dizziness reduced/stopped twice in the past 2.5 years with two different meds.

The brain is so hypersensitive when its in migraine mode and so we are sensitive to light, smells, sounds, and motion. So it makes sense that for those of us with MAV we are overly sensitive to the motion aspect and until we calm the brain and migraine activity, we’re going to feel the motion and feel like crap.

— End quote

I guess taking stock of one’s life and making changes to accommodate the new condition may be what’s needed to break the migraine cycle. It appears I am on a retirement fast-track, like it or not, as I haven’t been able to work. Of course, that stresses me out because I feel like I should be working :frowning:
Cat