Do colors seem brighter?

I have the exact same issue. Over the past year it was mainly Christmas lights etc but has developed into traffic lights and led road signs as well. Basically any led light is extra bright and crisp. Itā€™s odd that lights in supermarkets and offices have little effect on me. My neurologist seems to think thatā€™ it is due to hypersensitivity.

1 Like

Well he wasnā€™t giving away much help was he. All our sensory symptoms are the result of hypersensitivity due to the condition causing Central Sensitisation.

1 Like

Hi, this has been the hardest symptom to get rid of. Amitriptiline has helped to the point Iā€™m now 90 percent normal. I notice the hypersensitivity to bright colours ramps up before a migraine although itā€™s always there to a certain extent. It has settled down somewhat after taking 40mg Amitriptiline for just over a year. Itā€™s manageable at this point, but it doesnā€™t take much to start a migraine. Iā€™ve been having Bowen treatments on my back a nd neck also.

Yes, the visual issues have been the hardest for me as well. Most other symptoms have reduced quite a bit . I have worked my way up to 75mg of Effexor over the last six months. It has been great for most symptoms but I guess for me, the visual crap will take much more time and perhaps a combination of meds. Iā€™m still trying to figure it out.

1 Like

Perhaps you havenā€™t been on the 75mg Effexor dose for long enough. I say that because it has a reputation for being excellent for Visual Vertigo which would make one imagine it would be capable of sorting other apparently visual aspects of MAV too.

All sensory symptoms are pretty hard to contend with. I had extreme constant photophobia for years. Propranolol sorted mine but Amitriptyline also has an excellent reputation in that direction.

2 Likes

Did you ever figure it out.

No. My neurologist says itā€™s VM related. Some symptoms have improved a bit when compared to several months ago and some new variations of symptoms have developed. The side to side tilting and jumping up and down vision has improved a bit and things like convergence and divergence have been introduce but seem to be improving for the moment. Peripheral movement of objects has not changed. I reduced the Effexor to 55mg as 75mg was giving me joint pain. I am trying to figure out if the higher dose was playing games with my vision. Overall things are better but for me, itā€™s going to take time.

1 Like

I forgot to add, no change to color being exceptionally bright,

1 Like

I have the same issue too. My doctor says itā€™s just hypersensitivity, I really wonder if itā€™ll go away. Iā€™m a year and a couple months into this crap so far

2 Likes

Iā€™m also a year and a few months into this. Looking back, when I would walk through the house the floor was halfway up the wall. I had some freeky visual stuff happen thatā€™s gone now which is why I believe over time I will continue to improve. To what degree I have no idea. The visual stuff sucks though.

2 Likes

For sure. All our symptoms are a result of the Central Sensitisation caused by the condition. Technically the preventatives should cover but unfortunately thatā€™s only the theory.

1 Like

Youā€™re right. I suppose weā€™re lucky to test the theory rather than have nothing to potentially help us.

1 Like

Same, Iā€™m 3 years in and I still have the bright vision, itā€™s much improved but still there to a certain extent. It seems to flare up worse due to hormonal shifts Iā€™ve noticed, then it will calm down again but itā€™s always there to a certain extent

Same, when it was at its worst I lost my depth perception and the road looked not level on a weird angle. It was very freaky indeed. I think when you lose control like that, it stays with you and changes you to a certain extent

Perhaps.
Iā€™m glad it has calmed down for you. Did you experience everything in motion as you walked or moved your head side to side?

1 Like

Yes I did, I would wake up with spinning vertigo and feel like I was falling in bed in my head which was strange. When I was a passenger in the car everything was moving in my peripheral vision and I had nausea all the time. Dizziness moving my head. Thankfully all that is gone now, and I just have the bright vision left and sensitivity under fluorescent lights

While my vertigo symptoms calmed down after ceasing sertraline, color sensitivity to blue has gone off the charts
Red, yellow, green seems in proportion, but even deep blue shades look fluorescent and too bright!
Blue Bic pen? Might as well be a day-glow marker!
Blue looks ā€˜biggerā€™, as well.
Iā€™ve had to turn down blue on my computer screen, doesnā€™t always help.
Before, during and after a migraine aura (5-10 a week; nausea, disorientation, no headache), it seems a bit worse, but never goes away.
Blue Sky looks like a bad special effect from a bad movieā€¦vibrating with excess blue!
Three years now, Eye Doctor says my prescription hasnā€™t changed.
Help?

1 Like

Blue light is the bane of most migraineurs I suspect and of quite a lot of other people too. Iā€™m no medic but it certainly sounds as if your VM symptoms have intensified which is something that tends to happen when the condition is untreated for a period of time.

No I doubt your eye prescription will not have changed. What we have to remember with regards to our eyes is that they exist solely to gather visual information. It is our brain that interpreted that information and dictates exactly what we actually see. When the brain is under strain and overworked things tend to go wrong. Insufficient brain power available to meet all demands so something somewhere gets temporarily shut down. Think of that subjective (room spinning type) vertigo. The environment around us appears to be travelling by at great speed whereas we know in actual fact it cannot possibly be doing so.

In practical terms you could try so called ā€˜computer glassesā€™ - FL41 lens. Together with all the technological screen adjustments available most of which are discussed on here on other treads.

Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ve spoken on here to somebody else on Sertraline who became suddenly more sensitive to blue. If I can find it I will link it in. May of course prove pure coincidence.
Lighting

I also find colors brighter in a weird, surreal way. My vision is also blurry often, especially in the morning. Iā€™ve chopped up a lot of my visual distortion to the derealization that VM causes me to experience pretty much 24/7. Oversensitive/excited brain plus the derealization that VM can cause seems like a recipe for vision changes.

2 Likes

Central Sensitisation

1 Like