Does being still for long period of time calm the dizziness?

Sometimes when I’m still and lying down for a long time, usually 45 minutes or more I’ve noticed the rocking vertigo goes away to about a 1 on a 1-10 scale. However, I can be up for 20 minutes and the dizziness goes back up to about a 4 really quickly. Riding (or driving) in the car and taking walks are the worst things for my vertigo. Is motion that much of a trigger? Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

That’s the way it is for me too. If I’m sitting, I’m good almost instantly. I’m always dizzy if I’m up walking around. So yes, the motion is what triggers the constant imbalance.

Greg

Yes, this is mostly true for me as well. The more I do the more I feel the spinning. When I rest, after about 20 mins. it gets better. When I sleep it is almost always better - a few nights have bothered me.

Julie

Strange because I’m almost exactly the opposite! I’m better when moving around, driving, walking, etc. I hate laying down at night because I always feel like I’m on a cruise ship in a bad storm, it’s awful! So I wonder why we are so opposite? Strange.

Hey you’ll. Thanks for the replies. I’m still kind of stuck on this subject bc I think it’s so strange. To Pharmgirl- I feel worse when I first lie down but after an hour or so I’m better. Do you feel ok with movement such as normal everyday stuff. If you sit down to do something like eat do you feel like you are moving? I can’t sit. I have to lay down for a while for it to be better. Sitting and standing still is probably the worse. How can such simple motion cause us all so much darn trouble?!

I have an extremely hard time being still, sitting or standing it makes my head feel funny. I’ve been like this since February :frowning: it really stinks. When I lay down at night it’s worse maybe it’s the dark idk bc it’s not as bad on the couch during the day. But at night it makes my anxiety worse then it makes the rocking worse, viscous cycle I guess… Sometimes I wonder if this is chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia because I am tired a lot as well, any thoughts on that??

Have you been tested for chronic fatigue? My anxiety really vamps up my vertigo as well. Being distracted can help me a bit. Maybe that’s why you feel better on the couch than the bed bc there’s more going on. I’m not sure about fibromyalgia. I get a lot of aches and pains as well but they are not constant, they are more cyclic.

I didn’t think there was a test for chronic fatigue? I think im more afraid of this turning into that but I can still hold down a full Time job. And I do have a lot of neck/shoulder pain but it varies in intensity along with my migraines. Idk this is all so confusing and frustrating! I hope we get back to normal one day!

If laying down makes you feel better, then I would guess you have low pressure. I was always worse when standing, and motion has been atrigger for me as well. I also had issues when I first laid down, because the change in position caused me to feel like I was floating, I just tried to imagine floating off to sleep, so it wouldn’t wake me up, Hopefully Dr. gray can figure it all out for you. :slight_smile:

Pharmagirl- That I don’t know. They can check you for Epstein Barr which can cause cfs. I agree with you that it’s all so confusing.
Inafog-I would not be surprised if it was low. I’ve read on another forum a lot of patients that have been involved in the trial and I seem to have more symptoms of low than high. I can’t wait to go!

Hi pharmgirl I feel exactly the same as you, when I am moving around in car or walking, I don’t feel as bad but as soon as I sit down I feel a constant sense of movement. It’s so annoying!

— Begin quote from “elishat27”

Hey you’ll. Thanks for the replies. I’m still kind of stuck on this subject bc I think it’s so strange.

— End quote

I’m kinda trying to puzzle this out too.

Your visual field is likely (though not always) to be changing more when you are physically moving about. This is important if you have VV and are more reliant on your eyes than most people for balance.

At the same time, when you are exerting yourself you are pumping more blood to the head and this may improve brain function. People often say they are clear headed after taking a walk.

I also notice that if I go into a state of confusion then my awareness of my surroundings can vary and I may get a feeling of flickering and difficulty concentrating. I could call this “dizziness” but it isn’t a good description. So I try to be careful about what “dizzy” and “vertigo” means. For example, having difficulty balancing is not really the same as having the impression that the room is moving.

-Wexan

Wexan- I get what you are saying. I still just think it’s very odd. If I were to lay in bed for hours (which I rarely get to do with an 16 month old) then I feel fine, not 100% but close. Once I’m up and moving it all starts back.

Wexan- I get what you are saying. I still just think it’s very odd. If I were to lay in bed for hours (which I rarely get to do with an 16 month old) then I feel fine, not 100% but close. Once I’m up and moving it all starts back.

— End quote

I was the same way. I felt good while laying down. Getting up and walking around made me feel horrible. I feel great now that I’m on the right med combination.

Anne-you are very fortunate! I’m glad you are doing well on meds. It’s nice and comforting to hear when people get better. What meds do you take?

I’m on 100 mg Topamax and 7-10 mg Lexapro daily. I split the Lexapro and take between 7-10 mg at night because I’d like to see what the minimum dose is that I can get by with and feel good, if that makes sense. I might try to get back down to 5 mg if possible.

I can’t remember, you on any meds now, or waiting until the Duke visit to see what they say?

Hey Anne,
I’m on verpamil 240, valium as needed.
Topamax was really hard on me. Did you have an easy time getting on it?

Yes, better after holding my head still.

Movement, especially a sudden whirl of activity, seems to really trigger my episodes, which don’t necessarily involve headache but just a great heightening of the light-headed, foggy feeling.

I need to start my days slow, slow, oh so slowly. The motion sensitivity is worse in the morning, so as much as possible I stay at home and do something quiet til noon, such as reading the paper or doing computer stuff.

— End quote

The symptoms you describe could be helpful in diagnosing your condition(s). What I didn’t understand was what exactly what you meant by “rocking vertigo”; presumably you get a sensation of rocking even when lying.

To distinguish between which sensory input is causing the symptom, I would be inclined to consider changes in visual field separately from changes in body movement. Questions I would try to answer include: is there any head movement when lying down and also when in a car, is what the eyes are able to see changing when lying down and also in a car. Speaking personally, I have found it useful to distinguish **strenuous exertion **from simple movement because, and here I’m speculating, it seems that in my case the improved blood circulation to my brain acts to improve my function.

If there is no visual trigger then perhaps your rocking sensation, if I have correctly understood the feeling, is linked to problems with proprioception? To complicate this consideration, it turns out that visual input, semicircular canal input and proprioception all get integrated by the posterior brain and if there is a functional problem there (such as MAV) then that too might account for problems with balance/vertigo.

It might be a puzzle working it out! Good luck.

-Wexan

Wexan- You are a smart cookie :slight_smile:
I gave a lot of thought to this last night and even tried a few experiments. I think you may be onto something. It does not seem the problem is so much the physical motion as the eye movement. I have an appt. with a Neuro-Opto. later this month. Can’t wait to bring this up!
Thanks!
Elisha