Does this make sense?

Both neuros I’ve seen suggest VRT but my understanding is this: if the vestibular system is damaged or impaired by say a virus, which subsequently goes, then VRT is used to tell the brain that there is nothing wrong so it rights itself. Surely therefore with a brain constantly migraining, there is something wrong, so it is useless to tell the vestibular system via VRT there is nothing wrong when there is? So VRT to a constantly migraining brain is useless?

Hi Fiona,

Your logic is correct and most of the time this is true. For example Dr Rauch has said that when VRT makes the patient worse and there are no signs of any improvement, it’s “practically diagnostic” for MAV in his opinion. On the other hand, there is one study out there that showed some improvement in dizziness in a group of migraineurs who did VRT. BUT, it was the ones who were taking a migraine preventatives where the best nd most solid results were seen. Only a small fraction of those who were not being treated reported improvements.

Overall, I cannot see how VRT can accomplish much when there is a central cause for the problem – i.e. migraine. If the migraine condition has caused some sort of patholgy to the inner ear or the nerves then yes, that seems logical but otherwise I can’t see the benefit.

Scott

Hi Fiona,

I’m desperate to try anything at this point and actually have my first appointment on Tuesday. I’m going to give it a shot and if it’s terrible which I’m sure it will be, I just won’t go back. I’ll keep you posted!