Does this sound like MAV?

Greetings all,

I have had a recent resurgence of my symptoms and I am not even sure if I am dealing with MAV or something else. Please comment as to whether you think my symptom complex is likely to be migraine-related, and whether you know anyone with similar symptoms.

1.) Duration - several years, but it more-or-less went away for 1.5 years and then returned a few months ago.
2.) Symptoms - nearly constant motion sickness (nausea, dizziness, bloating) exacerbated by visual motion (flashing/blinking lights or anything moving in visual field, including video of any kind). Also, eating garlic in moderate-large quantity will worsen symptoms for 2 days, as will watching a very active scene.

I have also had tinnitus for much longer - but I don’t believe they are related.

This is a rather miserable condition.Thanks for your help.

It sounds like MAV to me. I have had all the symptoms you describe, aside from garlic being a trigger.

Symptoms coming and going is also something quite a lot of people experience, although some people on here are unlucky enough to have continual problems.

Have you tried migraine preventative meds?

Sorry to hear you are feeling this way.

It’s a tricky condition to diagnose as it mimics so many other things! It does sound like it could be MAV though. Have you ever suffered any migraine symptoms, headaches, visual etc? Do you have migraine in your family?

Sometimes you just have to try a migraine preventative and see if it helps. There is so much info on here. You may find many similar symptoms you struggle with on here. I know it helped me realise it was MAV I was dealing with.

AG

Hi Beachleaf and thanks for the reply.

The only preventative I tried (a few years ago) was nortriptyline, but it increased my heart-rate significantly. I had to stop-it early on, but it may have been helping with the symptoms.

What do you think about the non-pharmaceutical preventatives, such as magnesium, riboflavin, feverfew, etc? Does any of it help?

-Op

— Begin quote from “Aussiegirl1982”

Sorry to hear you are feeling this way.

It’s a tricky condition to diagnose as it mimics so many other things! It does sound like it could be MAV though. Have you ever suffered any migraine symptoms, headaches, visual etc? Do you have migraine in your family?

Sometimes you just have to try a migraine preventative and see if it helps. There is so much info on here. You may find many similar symptoms you struggle with on here. I know it helped me realise it was MAV I was dealing with.

AG

— End quote

Hi AG,

Thanks for the reply and the kind words.

Other members of my family have complained of episodic MAV0like symptoms. One of my brothers temporarily lost his sight in the shower. My dad gets visual aura’s. Nothing like I am dealing with, however.

I have never had a so-called migraine headache, to my knowledge. The only visual symptom I have beside the visually-induced nausea is I see a flickering toward the bottom of my visual field at times.

-Op

Whereas migraines are usually described in terms of discrete events - culminating in some sort of headache, what I experience seems to have no beginning and no end - and no headache. I guess I am wondering if this sort of presentation is common, rare, or extremely rare. Do other folks just feel motion sickness day-in and day-out -that gets worse with visual motion?

A sensitive follow-up question: I am finding it quite challenging to work with this condition. Can others work? It is scary to work hard for 30 years building a career and then at the pinnacle be virtually unable to function.

Yes I have the same continuous symptoms with fluctuations in severity but no real end as such. I didn’t used to think it could be migraine but apparently it can be if it is chronic. It’s like one day something changed in my brain and it can’t find its way back to how it was before.

I worked hard to become a solicitor but had to give it up due to VM. I still haven’t paid off all my student debt from getting my qualifications so I know how you feel about your career. Lots of people manage to keep going especially when they have success with a med. It took me 3.5 years to get diagnosed by which time I had already reached the point of collapse so my case is not like everyone here. I hope you start to improve soon x

Thanks Jem. I actually started suffering with this in September of 2008. I dealt with it for 2 1/2 years when it seemed to more-or-less fade away. For 1 1/2 years, I was more-or-less fine - and then suddenly in early December 2012, it returned with a vengeance. I slog through each day, struggling to pose as a fully-functioning human being. It is becoming increasingly clear that I need some help (likely via some form of medication). I am generally medication averse - ever since developing tinnitus seemingly from a medication back in 2000. But the time comes when you have to choose between the lesser of two evils.

Thanks again for your reply and best of luck.

-Op

Op
Chronic Vestibular Migraine is a variant which most of the forum members have. Symptoms can fluctuate & even go ‘into remission’ for a while.
My balance, disequilibrium, dizziness has been constant since Nov 2010. The motion sickness & visual vertigo is persistent but working on it! Latest meds helping a bit.
Have a look at this link. Symptoms you describe do sound like MAV and many members of this forum don’t have headaches & may never have had a migraine headache. Also look at the latest paper published by the International Headache Society: Vestibular Migraine Diagnostic criteria. 3.11 refers to chronic vestibular migraine

Barb

Thanks Barb. I should also mention that my dizziness generally is not rotational vertigo - although there may be a little of that. I would describe it as “nausea out of proportion to balance symptoms.” The visual-nausea connection is very strong. For example, I cannot watch most TV shows without nausea. One of the worst things is web pages with flashing banners, etc.

-Op

Op
The continual nausea is a pain. I wear ‘sea bands’ a lot which have helped with the daily nausea. I still can’t use the pc (only ipad) & flashing banners are an instant trigger. TV couldn’t watch for months but get v. nauseous watching any 'panning, sea/boat motion, etc. My vertigo is positional - the movement is in my body not in surroundings.
Visited the electrical store to buy a couple of light globes. Only 5mins in store - dizzy & nauseous for rest of day! Fun?!
Barb