Does this sound like MAV?

Greetings all,

I stop by every year or so. I hope all of you are well (as much as can be expected).

I have never officially had a diagnosis of MAV, but a well known clinician suggested it is a strong possibility. I wanted to present my symptoms to see if others believe it is likely to be MAV - and if someone has similar symptoms, I’d be interested in knowing what helps (if anything). Here are my symptoms:

1.) Nausea that is essentially always there, along with bloating. The nausea is the hard part.
2.) Some level of dizziness - but not rotary vertigo for the most part. For example, it is hard to take a shower because I am unsteady in that setting
3.) The nausea/dizziness worsen when I view anything that moves. That could be watching TV, looking at hand motions, etc. It gets very bad if some else is scrolling a computer screen and I have to look at it.
4.) Garlic makes it worse. Sometime, if visual motion makes it worse, the exacerbation can last for days.
5.) Blinking/flashing lights make it worse.
5.) Don’t like strong lights, sounds, or smells.
5.) I also have tinnitus - but the tinnitus started long before the other symptoms.

All in all, pretty miserable.

A few years ago, I tried nortiptyline which seemed to help. I had to stop it, as it raised my heart rate.

Thanks!

Sounds just like me, although I do eat garlic (never thought about that being a possible trigger). I happen to have auras at night too, and my neurologist diagnosed me with migraine associated disorder. He said the dizziness is likely associated, so I’m assuming that means MAV as well and will ask him in more detail about this when I see him in September. But, again, your symptoms of queasiness, sensitivity to seeing motion in the ways you describe, non-spinning vertigo, etc. are identical to what I feel. Sometimes I get the same feeling in the shower too - imbalanced, unsteady, etc. It’s all very debilitating.

Angela

— Begin quote from “angeladc”

Sounds just like me, although I do eat garlic (never thought about that being a possible trigger). I happen to have auras at night too, and my neurologist diagnosed me with migraine associated disorder. He said the dizziness is likely associated, so I’m assuming that means MAV as well and will ask him in more detail about this when I see him in September. But, again, your symptoms of queasiness, sensitivity to seeing motion in the ways you describe, non-spinning vertigo, etc. are identical to what I feel. Sometimes I get the same feeling in the shower too - imbalanced, unsteady, etc. It’s all very debilitating.

Angela

— End quote

Hi Angela,

Thanks for the reply. May I ask if you are able to work?

No problem. Unfortunately, I am not able to work b/c of this (and some other medical issues) and feel absolutely terrible about it. There is no way, though, feeling as I do, that I could handle my very stressful and demanding job right now. The only time I feel better is when I take Ativan, but I’m trying not to do that every day these days. It’s very hard without it, however. When I do go out, especially to a grocery or department store (I guess b/c of all the visual stimuli, aisles, fluorescent lights, etc.), I have to take Ativan; otherwise, I would be too imbalanced, unsteady and queasy to make it. Same for going out to a social occasion where I’m talking and nodding my head, etc. a lot. Not good. I’ll also add that, besides several other irritating symptoms related to my dizziness, it seems a main one is an ear fullness and muscle tightness around my right ear/TMJ joint. Do you have this too? Can you work?

Angela

Hi Angela,

I do not generally have the ear fullness, but I do have tinnitus and sound sensitivity.

I do work - but the reason I asked you is that it is very hard to do so. I am very sick on many days (although nobody would know that by looking at me). And my job can be demanding - it’s a high level position. So I’m fighting as hard as I can - and barely making it at this point.

I hope you (we all) have better days ahead.