Does your dizziness improve while riding in a car?

@DizzyDame, so true! Also, we are so great at weather forecasting! :cloud_with_rain: :sunny: :snowflake: We could be in high demand if we marketed ourselves as psychics :joy:

Same here, Moe (and everyone else). I don’t drive because if I have to stop, we’re in trouble. But When I ride shotgun from Tennessee to NC for doctor’s appointments (4.5 hours) is the only time I feel mostly normal. But after we stop, I’m a train wreck for two days unless we get back in the car. So, it still takes a toll, but not while it’s happening.

2 Likes

I’ve always found delayed reaction to any trigger to be common. I used to experience attacks 24-36 hours after the event which is why it took years to link my attacks to eating out in restaurant. It was at least a dozen attacks and a generous decade later before I actually experienced symptoms in a restaurant. Same applied to supermarkets. Very annoying delayed reactions because you think you’ve git away with it then Wham! Helen

1 Like

It’s like you are reading my mind. I experience the same. Feel better when passenger in a car or sometimes when driving, but feel crap when have to stop at intersections or lights.

1 Like

Hi Moe,
Yes! My symptoms, when they were at their worst, improved by driving or riding in the car. If the car came to a stop for more than a few moments, the symptoms would resume. There were times I asked my family to go for a ride just to get away from it. It seemed like the movement allowed my body to catch up to what my brain was telling me I was already doing. Thankfully, after medications and diet changes, I am much improved now.
All the best to you!

1 Like

Hi Moe,

Sorry that I’m late to this conversation. I thought I was the only one … It’s strange, I have a great sensitivity to motion but I am fine when driving. The most trouble I have is when I’m waiting in the car at railway crossings and trying to tolerate the motion of the train as it passes.

I had car sickness as a child, so this makes no sense to me. However, I see it as a stroke of luck. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry. May have misinterpreted your post but this is Visual Vertigo. Very common with vestibular conditions and even the general public. It’s brain confusing self and environment movement just like when you drive and quickly hit your break in traffic queue when the car next to you moves. You think yours is on the move too. Helen

2 Likes

Just to clarify. My visual vertigo is often triggered by actual movement around me. So, first there is real movement followed by a false perception of movement. I can’t look at the trains buzzing by in case it triggers an attack.
ETA: However, the motion of driving seems to make me feel better.

2 Likes

One thing I have noticed many times previously but only recently realised is consistent. I can always turn my head comfortably in both directions whilst travelling as a passenger in the car. That is something I cannot guarantee to do anywhere else, neither sitting up in bed nor in my favourite armchair. Peculiar and I can think of no possible explanation.

Yes, the only time I feel normal and “safe”

1 Like

Hi and welcome. No idea of your history of course but interestingly we both take same drug, Propranolol. Oh I wouldn’t say I am always better in a car. Just that the head turning works better, much more comfortably and virtually totally consistently which in fact makes it about my most consistent thing related to MAV come to think if it.

The same for me, sitting as a passenger and turning head in both sides, also sometimes quit fast doesn’t make me dizzy, however while doing this in the same car when it stops or at home or somewhere else makes me dizzy.

You are one ahead of me there. I have only ever tried it whilst the car was in motion. Next time I travel I will and post the result. Turning my head doesn’t make me feel dizzy unless I am totally acute which is rare. It’s just that I always seem to have a tight neck when head turning except in a moving car when the muscles must be totally relaxed making the turning perfectly natural and comfortable.

No, at my worst driving as a passenger was awful, and driving myself I was very conscious of my peripheral vision making me dizzy. All the fast movement made me feel Ill, I’m better now though. I’d also find my brain was hyper aware of a spot of something on the windscreen and my windscreen sort of warped my vision. My symptoms were mostly visual though

I feel much much worse as a passenger in a car. Didn’t get motion sickness at all before all this. For me, it’s particularly bad in stop start traffic. I wear my sickness bands and smell peppermint oil to help but it’s still not very pleasant! I also get motion sickness on trains now which I haven’t had before. Right pain!

1 Like

Motion sickness is indicative the vestibular system is struggling. I can confirm that by my own experience. I was always severely motion sick as a child. Cars or boats were impossible but for some reason no trouble on trains. Through having to travel to senior school by coach I eventually habituated to it. I could do that coach journey, about 8/9 miles. I even read somewhere that a large percentage of migraineurs are car sick as children. Personally I found there are very strong links between the current vestibular state and how well or ill one travels. During my adult life I was never motion sick. Not even in a Force Seven gale off West Wales or crossing the English Channel. My motion sickness tendency returned after I hit menopause and developed MAV.

1 Like

Same. I was never motion sick before MAV. I could read on a bumpy car journey and ride a boat in rough seas and have no problem. Now I have to face the same way the train is travelling or I feel off.

1 Like

This worries me as both my girls get very badly car sick. Neither myself or my husband suffered as children. I was the same as @jess38, used to read all the time in the car. Not any more!!! Makes me anxious that my girls might suffer as I have when they’re older. Hoping not!!!

1 Like

Hmmm I used to get sick in the car reading but no vestibular symptoms for my entire life.

I actually suspect it’s the opposite: you get sick in the car reading exactly because your ears are telling you (reliably) you are moving but your eyes disagree. Perhaps that is something you can habituate to (when healthy) if you do it enough?

Once you’ve got a chronic vestibular problem all bets are off of course: who knows what part is saying what to what and if it correlates sufficiently anymore?! (the brain is a correlation machine)

3 Likes