Dr. hain and the migraine diet

Just wondering how big of a proponent Dr. Hain is of the migraine diet. I followed the diet for several months (almost a year) and noticed no benefit. I’ve read somewhere else that only like 30% of MAVers are affected by dietary triggers. I’ve been dx with MAV by Dr. Hain himself but didn’t think to ask him about the role of the MAV diet at the time of our conversation.

I’ve maintained the diet while trialing verapamil, nortitriptyline and now 37.5mg of effexor. It’s been a year on the diet and I’m wanting to have some cheese and orange juice! I don’t notice any particular worsening of symptoms when I consume nuts, cheese or citrus, so is it safe to eat that stuff? I do not plan on going back on caffeine or chocolate though.

I have noticed a bit less ear fullness at 1month on 37.5mg of effexor. I plan on staying on this dose for another month, then upping to 75mg and see what happens.

i’m not sure about Dr. Hain’s take, but know that for me the diet hasn’t helped at all. I think when I start improving with meds, then maybe I’ll notice a difference. But, right now my sxs are too chronic and severe to notice triggers. Just wondering what happened with your nortriptyline and verapamil trials? what dose did you get up to on Nortriptyline?

Hi Tekksan!!!

We are on the exact same 3 preventatives!!! Anyway, in Buchholz book, he very much advocates the migraine diet…he has a ton of possible trigger foods listed…he does say in his book, that some doc’s believe in the elimination diet and some don’t. I would say to maybe try to add back in a couple or 1 at a time and go from there. It sounds like you have been very diligent in your efforts…so maybe its ok to add back in now. My doc game a list of about 10 things to avoid…he feels that they are the only ones to avoid!!! Each doc…different belief!!! It can get kind of frustrating!!

Pam

— Begin quote from “MAVLisa”

i’m not sure about Dr. Hain’s take, but know that for me the diet hasn’t helped at all. I think when I start improving with meds, then maybe I’ll notice a difference. But, right now my sxs are too chronic and severe to notice triggers. Just wondering what happened with your nortriptyline and verapamil trials? what dose did you get up to on Nortriptyline?

— End quote

I got up to 320mg of verapamil and stayed there for about 2 months but didn’t notice a significant decrease in symptoms.
I got up to 130mg of norti and stayed there for a month or so (I had been on lower doses for much longer periods of time) and did not noticed much of a difference.

I’m hoping the effexor helps. I’ve been battling this now for 12 years but just recently got d/x with MAV. For 11 years my neuro-oto claimed I had some kind of viral damage or something and he tried all kinds of antivirals but of course, none of them worked.

so sorry prior meds did not work. What are your symptoms? best of l uck on the effexor.

Hi Tekksan,

It sounds to me like you’ve been very strict with your food and would therfore have a clear indication of whether or not certain foods were making you feel worse or not. Given the reports from people here on mvertigo and those written too by Carolyn Bernstein, it’s true that food is not always a trigger for a lot of people. Or it can be just one food or a whole host of foods (me). If I were you I’d reintroduce things one at a time and give it a few days to observe any changes. If not then enjoy. Sure wish I was free of the dreaded food triggers.

Good luck … Scott

— Begin quote from “MAVLisa”

so sorry prior meds did not work. What are your symptoms? best of l uck on the effexor.

— End quote

24x7 dizziness
unsteadiness
ear fullness
visual issues
sunlight sensitivity
fatigue
head pressure (like wearing a hat or headband)