Driving and MAV

If I am a passenger, I get nauseated and dizzy. But if I’m the driver I don’t. I suspect as a passenger I look out the side window more.

I once had a full sized Ford Bronco and when I came to a stop, I would cay h myself rocking forward and backward. I don’t do it in my much smaller Ford Ranger, but it was noticeable by my passengers in the Bronco. I can’t explain that symptom.

1 Like

From my own experience I’d say that rocking is half ways between a normal body adjustment in a non-MAVer and my reaction where I would lurch forwards and then feel as if I was still going forwards.

1 Like

The rocking was s slight a motion, that I didn’t even notice I was doing it until someone said something about it. At first I thought something was wrong with the vehicle and it was moving, but none of my passengers were doing it. I think the reason I did it in the Bronco was that I set more forward in the seat, whereas in all of my other vehicles, I set with my back against the seat back.

1 Like

Must be plenty of them somewhere. I am one though not driving. I’m on medication and no longer experience either form of motion sickness we discussed above. It’s years since I felt I was still travelling forwards. However it must always depend on current sensitivity levels. The lower one current tolerance levels are the more symptoms occur. I still feel motion sick, the autonomous type stuff, if I am very symptomatic. The fact you are experiencing this even as the driver is, as I’m sure you are already aware, indicative that you are highly symptomatic. Aside on people with vestibular issues that I’ve come across on here it must be almost unheard of for drivers to feel motion sickness. I never have and I know people (without vestibular issues) who always insist on driving as their only way of avoiding motion sickness.

1 Like

Yes so similarly to some of the older posts on this thread it’s more like just don’t feel right once I’m stopped at red light.

It feels like I should still be moving. I don’t feel it as badly when walking around (stopping and going).

I was just trying to determine what has helped with this type of symptom but seems as though it probably will calm down once less symptomatic in general.

Does amtriptyline help motion sickness?

Might be worth asking Alaina @alm33 instigator of the above thread how’s she doing? I thought of her case immediately I read your post this morning but I’ve only just remembered how to find her. I know she’s off Ami long since but you might be interested to know how she progressed.

1 Like

Yes, I haven’t been on here or updated in quite a while. Unfortunately, it’s not because I’m doing better. In the midst of my search of what the root cause of my nausea was, I was diagnosed with limited systemic scleroderma, initially discovered through blood work, so now vestibular migraine has become the lesser of my worries, although I’m still treating it.

I was unable to tolerate amtriptyline and Nortriptyline due to the side effect of tachycardia. I tried Topamax but my doctor wanted me off of it due to its appetite suppressant effect. I’m currently slowly titrating up on lamictal. I’m almost at my target dose of 100 mg. I still have motion sickness in the car but it’s also too soon to tell if the lamictal will help. Motion sickness has always been my worst VM symptom. Sorry I can’t say I’ve found anything that’s worked yet.

2 Likes

Alaina,

I’m so sorry you are dealing with another illness on top of mav. I hope the lamictal is helping you and gets you to a point where you have some much deserved relief.

I really appreciate you writing back to me. I didn’t have trouble with motion sensitivity before this all started up - just a very odd symptom. In the past when I’ve gone on long road trips, long plane rides, all sorts of roller coasters, etc, never had any problem. I hope this goes away with better overall symptom management.

Again, so sorry to hear that you are feeling unwell and prayers for healing for you. :pray:

1 Like