Dumb doctor!

Hey everyone,

so today I went back to my GP for a follow up appointment and told him im still having all of the same symptoms which when I went last time he told me they would go away soon and on their own. Anyway he looked thru my file and saw that I ended up going to see a neurologist and he was saying how when I first came in he was worried I had a brain tumor, which he never mentioned to me! (But he already knew my MRI was clear) So he said I def. didnt have one. So I ended up asking him about MAV and he said he knew about it and that it doesnt last more than a few hours! Obviously he doesnt know about it!! He then started saying how I need Neurontin (spelling?) for the tingling and numbness in my head, which my neuro has to prescribe. Then he started saying how I might have a CSf leak. Which I def dont think I have, based on the symptoms and how this all started. So he basically had no real answers for me and couldnt help me get anywhere closer to a diagnosis. When I was seen at my neurologists office and had then ENG done I was told I had bppv in both ears and had the ep;y manuver done, which didnt work . I start VRT tomorrow… does anyone know if bppv and MAV have the same symptoms. I really feel like it can be MAV especially since I get these same symptoms after I have a baby and I know MAV can be hormone related. I made a follow up appointment with the neuro but its not till june :frowning: The VRT tomorrow is with a NP who I dont think can diagnose me with MAV… I think that would have to be the doctor. Ughh this is all so frustrating and I feel like im not getting anywhere! Thanks for any help guys!

Hi Gina,

BPPV is inner ear related, and produces True Vertigo. The spinning happens in bed when you first lie down and roll over. It can also happen when you look up, as if looking up on a shelf in a kitchen cabinet or if you sit down and not look down put rather put your head down like in a sense when your elbows on legs and head is down with hands holding it. If you have BPPV in both ears, you do need to treat both sides. So when the Epley is done, you treat one side, and if it goes away great, then you repeat it and do it on the other side. If the first one doesn’t work, you need to repeat it on the same side, then next time do it on the other side, up to twice, each side.

Bilateral BPPV is not common, but it does happen. I had that myself. It didn’t matter what way I turned in bed, I would spin.

If it’s happening more than just lying in bed, and when your just sitting or walking around or something, then that maybe more MAV.

It’s possible that you have both, and the BPPV triggered the MAV. From what I read and what I’m told BPPV is common in migraineurs.

K

Hi Gina,
I am so very sorry to hear of your experiences with your doctor. My doc (one who is a neurologist that deals with migraine) insists too that MAV is episodic and can’t last days, weeks, or months. I think this is because they are going by the strict definiton of MAV in their textbooks. I wish they would see this site sometimes.
I hope you keep searching for better doctors. Maybe people on this site that live somewhat near you can recommend doctors that are better informed.
Best,
Christine

The way Dr. Cha at UCLA describes the difference between MAV and Mdds is MAV is true vertigo (the room spinning) that lasts momentarily and Mdds is constant. I’ve had MAV for 20 years and I’d have attacks of true vertigo that would last for 30 minutes and then go away. After having baby #2, I don’t know what happened but I am now rocky 24/7 and have been diagnosed with spontaneous Mdds. I also wonder if I could have a spinal leak from the epidural.

VRT did NOTHING for me, but the therapist did notice Mdds related things which prompted me to look down the Mdds path to get my answer.

A lot of docs use Medscape (emedicine) for reference; this article clearly states that MAV dizziness can go on for weeks:

emedicine.medscape.com/article/884136-overview

Might be worth printing and taking along.