Effexor 4 mos.~trying to go off is horrific..Help!

I have been on brand name Effexor for 4 months and I started at 37.5 mg. I ended up going up to 150 mg. for 6 weeks per my regular physician’s advice. My migraines have become way worse and there has been no end to the dizziness since I started 4 months ago. I am trying to wean on my own because all I have become practically bed bound from being so depressed, having horrible night sweats with nightmares, heart palpitations and horrible memory loss. My doctor wanted me to stay on the 150 mg. for 3 months total and I just can’t stand the migraines or horrible depression any longer. My husband also noticed a huge change in my behavior in the last 6 weeks and is worried about me. Some days I have felt downright suicidal.

Three days ago I reduced the amount to 75 mg. and can’t keep food down, have horrible dizziness, brain zaps and feel like I want to crawl out of my own skin.

I wanted to see if anyone else had similar problems coming off Effexor or any advice to help me through this.

Donna

I don’t have personal experience with this, but from what I’ve ready, going from 150 to 75 is a huge drop all at once. I think if you’re going off Effexor (or anything else that requires tapering), the slower the better. I think dropping 25 mg one week at a time is probably the standard recommendation I’ve seen, though with fex, you might even do better to go slower. Not what one wants to hear when wanting to get off a med, but, it’s a lot like getting on these meds. They’re hard to tolerate, whether starting or stopping. (I think I’ve also read about people taking small amounts of Prozac to counter the effects going off some of the SSRIs. You might want to check with your doc to see if that (or something similar) is a possibility with fex, since it’s an SNRI.

In the meantime, just hang in there as best you can!!! :slight_smile:

WOW that is a big drop!

You may want to go down in 25mg or 12.5mg increments, a week at a time maybe? I know the effects are horrible.

My sister had to take minutely smaller doses for several days at a time. If they are capsules, you can do this trick where, when you get to the lowest dose, you reduce each capsule by 9 of the little spheroids every day. Open up the capsule, take out 9 of the little ‘balls’, and then take the rest. Next day, the same, only take out 9 more.

Don’t mess around if you’ve felt suicidal. Call you doc for advice.

Good luck hon!!!

Thanks for the replies. I am taking the capsules so am thinking I will try reducing the pebbles each day and see if that helps.

Donna

I’m finally feeling a little bit better. I am down to 37.5 mg. now and am taking 5-10 little pebbles out of the capsule each day. I can’t wait to be free of this drug completely. Don’t know what I am going to do after this. I’m thinking of taking a break from the drugs for awhile and trying a gluten free diet (I have MAV and beginning stages of RA).

Donna

Good to hear, Donna!!

I know that Effexor works very well for some people but for others it is a nightmare.

Glad you’re feeling better!

K

Hi Donna

I am just now reading this and so sorry you had such a bad time coming off off Effexor. I’m glad you are feeling a little better. When I read that you went down that fast, I thought that’s probably why it affected you so negatively. I really feel bad that it didn’t work for you. I just experienced a horrible time with topomax. It brought back all my symptoms and I was so sick but I’ve been coming down really slowly and almost done thank goodness. These drugs can be so evil :twisted:

I keep saying I’m going to go gluten free but just too hard right now so I don’t even try. I have been really trying to eat all natural foods and no processed foods and tons of green veggies and it has helped. I think gluten free would be great.

Does your doctor have any suggestions for what’s next?

Hang in there. I am praying for you as I really hoped the fex would work. Don’t give up. We will defeat this monster. Keep us posted please.