Emgality

Emgality (Galcancezumab) was approved by NICE on 17th November 2020 to be used for 200,000 patients in NHS. No doubt they will all have been required to have jumped through all the right hoops to meet the strict criteria but I guess it’s a step forward for some. Interestingly it’s approved for both episodic and chronic cases unlike A.J.O.V.Y which is approved only for chronic. Privately each injection of either costs c£300 per month.

1 Like

Emgality ended up being completely free for me. Very thankful to be able to use it.

1 Like

Have you heard any successful stories with the same injection? If yes can you please mention the person’s username?

Thank you, :blush:

Did you try using the Search facility? Always a good idea. The site contains a vast amount of information and it is simple to interrogate the database and pull up every site reference to any keyword. I just checked it for you very briefly and @ander454, Erik, would seem your current best bet being as he’s quite a regular and been taking it a while. Then there’s @GetBetter. Ditto. You could of course try PMing some of the others who mention it but they aren’t frequent posters. Like all other preventatives success varies but those two do appear to have had some experience of Emgality.

4 Likes

First dose of Emgality done! So excited. Will update more as time goes on. For reference, still taking 75 MG Topamax. Hoping the Emgality will knock out the imbalance, pushing and pulling feeling, the residual dizziness that seems to want to hang around and headaches. Mostly to give me more consistency as Topamax has me at 50% good days and 50% bad days. My 3 neurologists and 1 neurotologist all say there’s been great research for CGRPs specifically for VM symptoms so here’s hoping I’m a lucky one! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Really need to see the evidence that proves that, please. Everything I’ve read and been reported on here to date suggests the exact opposite. That pre release it was only trialled on classic migraineurs. The question has often been asked. That’s not to say some MAVers aren’t getting some results from having trialled it because they are. Of course it’s still very new and still unlicensed in some countries so not available.

@sds001 consider starting a #personal-diaries Topic to discuss your progress :+1:

1 Like

@sds001 Heya, did you see any improvements or evolution of your condition with Emgality? :heart::heart: I know it might be too early to tell but interested in your experience!

Hi Maina! I just did my second Emgality shot last night, so I’ve been on it for a full month. Definitely had a reduction in actual headache days, but I was doing pretty well in that arena from the Topamax. Haven’t seen any improvement in my daily dizziness/ motion/ feeling of being pushed and pulled yet though. My doctors have said it takes at least 3 months to see a change so I’m still hopeful! Still zero side effects though! So that’s awesome!!!

3 Likes

That’s great news that you do not have bad side effects. That’s reassuring :heart:. Thanks a lot for the update :slight_smile:

Thank you to all who posted here on this topic. I will be starting Emagality as soon as my Topiramate taper ends. I started getting tremors on the Topiramate so now that is out for me. I’m 4 days in on a 14 day taper and the non-stop migraine mode has begun. I’m so glad there is light at the end of the tunnel.

1 Like

The Australian government has just spilled the new federal budget today and Emgality is now approved for the PBS. Instead of hundreds and hundreds a month (like $800) it will be $41.

So, now I am very eager to read more stories about success. I am looking for a long term drug that is effective (Ha! Aren’t we all!).

Are the new injectables for long term use? And keep the feedback coming in for Emgality!!

Big news for us down here!

4 Likes

Emgality is amazing. I have been taking it here in California for about seven months and combined with propranolol 60 mg er, 500 mg magnesium a day and 400 mg of b2 a day has stopped about 85 percent of my dizziness and room spinning vertigo…it has also quelled my anxiety abit around tall buildings or high places. No noticeable side effects that I can see. The doctor didn’t want to try it thinking its unproven for vertigo atypical migraines but I insisted. Well worth it versus the old stuff.
Rob

4 Likes

Now that the US approved Nurtec as a preventative, I chose that over Emgality.

I just got back from my migraine clinic and will start the every other day regimen tomorrow.

1 Like

I am interested in finding out how much this medication I’d. I’m on an injectable for my cholesterol and after Medicare part D, it costs $250 for 3 doses. Fortunately, I only take it cancer a mont, but still $83 a dose. Without insurance I dues I would just have to die. :sob: I can’t take statins due to rhabdo.

1 Like

Sometimes you can get enough free samples through a Neurologist that you don’t have to pay anything for a few months (enough to see if its doing anything). I don’t think I paid a dime for 6 months.

I just got off the phone with Aspen Specialty Pharmacy where my clinic sent my Nurtec perscrption and my Cigna insurance covered the 16 pill one month supply at 100%. I have paid my maximum out of pocket amount for the year. I was told that it will arrive via UPS or FedEx by this Friday. :partying_face:

3 Likes
1 Like

This is the first month (month 5) I’ve actually noticed Emgality really working for me. I’m excited to see what it does month 6. Some people it takes a lot longer to actually see the effects. I have Aimovig waiting in case I don’t see an increase in benefits month 6. My neuro wants me to switch if it doesn’t continue to get better! Ask your neuro about samples and go online - I pay 0 for my Emgality though Eli Lily’s savings program!

$581 for one pen on GoodRX. If you are on Medicare, you can’t get help from the drug maker, so you will need supplemental insurance that covers it. The copay will likely be around the $500