Epilim - sodium valproate success story

Hi All – just thought I’d report on a lady here that works in our building who for years had rotten symptoms that she kept quiet until one day about 6 months ago she overheard me chatting to a person about MAV. She pulled me aside later and asked what we were talking about and then told me about her symptoms. Another textbook MAVer without headache from what I gathered with all the other crap we hear about. I told her to see a neurologist who understands migraine. The worst thing for this lady was cognitive problems and an inability to focus on anything. She was off work a lot of the time unable to run practical classes which require a great deal of focus. She had some dizziness but it was the cognitive problems that wrote her off.

So her doc prescribed her sodium valproate (Epilim) twice daily and I hear this morning that while she is not 100%, the med made a very big impact in killing her symptoms. She was able to focus very very well for the firt time in years and took on 4 weeks of heavy prac sessions with students going all day long and survived. Without the meds she would have been thrown under the bus after day 1.

She experienced no side effects but was not keen to take it all the time because of the weight gain associated with the drug.

Scott 8)

Thanks Scott, interesting to hear. My Neuro was keen on me trying that drug but It’s one of those that I’ve always been really keen to avoid due to the high side effect profile. Will maybe need to rethink my point of view if it crops up again…

Always a blessing to hear of someone getting better! Thanks for sharing!
Kelley

Dizzi – me too. It always sounded like a really barbaric drug choice to me – like sticking toothpicks in your eyes or drinking a radioactive milk shake. One talk I listened to mentioned some horrendous fetal problems that can occur and I started thinking about that nightmare drug Thalidomide and how babies were born without limbs. Yeah, I’d love some of that drug please. :lol:

Hey Scott,

For the Sydney peeps are you able to post the doc’s name or perhaps we could discuss via PM? Would be interesting what this doc has to say and commonalities/differences with Halmagyi.

Vic

Wow, those are the kinds of stories that I love to hear. Thanks for posting that, Scott.
Gail

— Begin quote from “Victoria”

For the Sydney peeps are you able to post the doc’s name or perhaps we could discuss via PM? Would be interesting what this doc has to say and commonalities/differences with Halmagyi.

— End quote

Vic – just heard back from the work colleague:

Professor Corbett- Concord Hospital or his private rooms in Burwood Rd, Burwood.

http://sydney.edu.au/medicine/people/academics/profiles/alastair.php