Ever develop kidney stones from a med you are taking?

Well friends, I may have spoken too soon regarding my few problems in taking Topamax. I’m not 100% sure yet, but I may be developing kidney stones from it. Apparently it is not uncommon with this med. I’ve had pain/soreness in my lower left back and lower right abdomin which I cannot account for. I do not have my appendix or my gall bladder, so I know it is not related to those. While as of yet, I have not had any other symptoms, and the pain is more dull than sharp (although it feels more like I ran into a corner of a desk or something and if I press on it, it hurts), the fact that this came on suddenly and can not be traced to anything else makes me think it may be related to kidney stones.

So I was wondering if anyone out there has ever developed kidney stones from ANY medication they have taken? I don’t care what med, but if you have, did it come on gradually? I know normally people have a sudden, sharp pain. Did the stones pass on their own? Do you think if I drink a lot of water I can get them to pass ok? If they do or just go away, would drinking more liquids keep me from devleoping more kidney stones? I’ve been doing pretty well with all the other side effects of the Topamax and would hate to quit now before finding out if it is going to work for me, but then again, I don’t want to keep using it if it is going to cause kidney stones or have to drink gallons of water a day. Any experiences/thoughts are welcomed (especially from MAVNY-Lisa) :wink:

Thanks, Bonnie

— Begin quote from ____

Dietary Measures

Topiramate provides effective relief for many headache sufferers, Graybeal notes. Unlike some other migraine medications, it isn’t associated with weight gain. In fact, it’s often associated with weight lossweight loss. In the three-month study, those on topiramate lost an average of 8.8 pounds, they found.

Those who stay on the medication can take dietary measures to reduce kidney stone risk, Graybeal says. Drink 32 to 64 ounces of water a day, he advises. Increasing your vitamin C, which lowers the urine pH, can help, he says. Ask your doctor for dose advice.

“We would advise increasing fluid intake when you are taking Topamax,” agrees Spry. He tells patients to drink enough water that they need to get up at night to urinate – and while they are up, to drink another glass.

webmd.com/news/20061101/migr … isk?page=2

— End quote

I was told this could be a side effect which is on of the reasons I did not want to take it as I have had them before. Sharp pain that can turn dull unless the stone/stones move then the pain increases. I passed mine but it depends on the size as to whether they would recommend any further treatment.

Hey Bonnie,
Sorry to hear of this new symptom that does sound somewhat suggestive of a kidney stone. Usually the diagnosis is made based on clinical symptoms, laboratory tests, and imaging studies. A sudden onset of flank pain and hematuria (blood in the urine) are particularly suggestive of a kidney stone. Other symptoms include nausea or vomiting, pain with urination, and an urgent need to urinate. Analysis of a urine sample can be performed to determine if blood or stone crystals are present, especially if you do not see frank blood in the toilet. An imaging test is typically performed to confirm the presence of a stone and to rule out other conditions. Computed tomography (CT scan) is the preferred diagnostic test in most patients.

This all being said, usually patients can be managed conservatively. During the initial phase of kidney stone symptoms, many patients require only pain medication and fluids until the stone is passed. Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs, such as Advil, Motrin, Alleve) may be used for pain. NSAIDs have the possible advantage of decreasing ureteral smooth muscle tone, thereby directly treating the mechanism by which pain is thought to occur (ureteral spasm).

You might want to contact your doc to let him know of this new symptom. But in the meantime, drink, drink, and drink some more, and take pain meds as needed unless there is some reason you cannot take them.

Hang in there!
Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the response. What’s strange is that I currently don’t have any of the typical symptoms associated with kidney stones. I just have the dull pain on the lower left back area (and perhaps a little on the right?) and some dull pain in the lower right abdominal area. Both have a specific area that hurt the most when I press on them. I have read, however, that dull pain does not mean that you do not have a problem. I have no blood in the urine, no nausea, no trouble urinating, etc. Can’t say if I have a fever (will check when I get home) but I am usually a little warm anyway due to overheating with my other med and always a little woozy/groggy! LOL. I am seeing Dr. Furman on Friday anyway so I am going to mention it to him. He is not the one who prescribed the Topamax to me, but I imagine he would be able to give me some good feedback and perhaps suggest some tests if he thinks that would be useful, wouldn’t you agree? (This assuming things don’t get worse in the next 48 hours.) I am fine with getting some blood work, urine sample, and CT scans done if necessary. I will also call my doc #2 to inform her (after I see Furman) of what is going on and ask if I should go off the Topamax (which will then require titration back down for a number of weeks - ugh!) As for the OTC pain meds, I think I could take them, but just not every day, as to not have rebound headache problems.

Thanks again, Bonnie

Hi Bonnie,
Did you strain yourself in any way that you can remember? Could this be musculoskeletal? How long has this been going on?
Lisa

— Begin quote from “MAVNY”

Hi Bonnie,
Did you strain yourself in any way that you can remember? Could this be musculoskeletal? How long has this been going on?
Lisa

— End quote

Hi Lisa,

That’s what I was wondering too. Approximately 4 weeks ago, I fell and I think bruised my tailbone - not sure, but I fell hard directly on it and it hurt since then when I sat down in certain ways. However, it got better over time and the pains I feel now I did NOT feel then. The dull pains I feel now came on suddenly on Monday. The only thing out of the ordinary that I did was sit in a beach chair on Sunday. It had little support and and was of a weird angle, but again, the pains/soreness I feel now is not like I feel when say my back is sore or a muscle pulled. The pain/soreness is lower left side, below the belt line with a specific area that hurts the most if I press on it. I also have an area like this in the front right abdominal area which makes me think it is not related to anything musculoskeletal. I am also a bit bloated/gassy.

I’ve read conflicting things on the internet - that you CAN have dull aches from kidney stones that may or may not get worse but that still means you have a problem OR that you CANNOT have dull aches from kidney stones (it means you have some other problem, like a cyst or cancer or ??)

Think I should get some test done, let it go a while, see a neurologist? I will get Dr. Furman and my other doc’s opinion regarding this and if I should go off the Topamax or not. It does say that 1 in 50 people who use this med get kidney stones. :frowning:

Hi Bonnie,
The GI complaints (ie, gas) was going to be my next question. Your history of the beach chair is also interesting. It sounds like at this point time will tell which direction this discomfort will go. I’m hoping it’s just gonna go away as strangely as it started. Musculoskeletal pain is often exacerbated with palpation (pushing on the area). And gas pain can also be referred to any place in the abdominal/low back area. If you take an NSAID, does the pain go away completely? Is the pain constant or does it wax and wane? Does it worsen when you move your bowels? Does activity make it worse? Is it affecting your sleep?
Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Yes, the beach chair was probably a dumb move on my part, as I likely had internal bruising that had yet to heal. Perhaps I caused more damage from sitting in it? Have no idea why the gas stuff would be going on though (more than usual I mean.) I took some OTC Aleve yesterday and it did nothing for the pain in the back, thus why I think it was not related to muscle-back pain. The pain, which I must explain is a dull ache so “pain” may be too strong a word, is constant, but intensity varies. It is only when I press on a certain area that it hurts the most. That’s when I would use the word “pain.” It does not hurt more when I have a bowel movement. Activity does not make it worse, but I am not doing anything other than walking normally (no lifting, exercising, etc.) It is not affecting my sleep at the moment.

Thanks, Bonnie

Hey Bonnie -

I’ve tended to have GI problems anyway, but they definitely got worse with each increase in dose of Topamax. Also, I have been very diligent about drinking extra fluids so as to prevent a kidney stone - never had one, but knew of the risk and have heard it can be painful, so decided to do my best to keep well hydrated. Hope you’re just having the GI issues that I experienced, and that it’ll get better! It did for me.

Incidentally, I’ve now been on 100 mg Topamax for 2 months and haven’t had a severe episode of dizziness since before starting on the medication in April, but continue to have mild to moderate wobbliness.

I have kidney stones so have avoided topamax. it is a side effect. but, I already have the stones. That being said, I might consider taking topamax in the future.

bcrelief, how much topamax are you taking? Just curious. I am only taking 50mg, so I think it’s less of a worry with me, but I already drink a ton of water, and take steps to decrease kidney stone risk, so I am not as worried, but even if I GOT kidney stones, I would never stop taking my topamax. It has saved me from MAV hell. I would just take MORE steps to eliminate further kidney stones. Anyway, please let me know

Rich

Rich, right now I am taking 60 mg of Topamax. Still don’t know if I have kidney stones or not. Seems I could be, but not sure. Will follow up with docs shortly, as I am supposed to keep titrating up to 100 mg. Best, Bonnie

yeah I would check it out first. 60mg is not a whole lot, and I would honestly be surprised if that little caused stones. There are people on 300mg and no stones. Keep us updated :slight_smile:

Rich

Yes, it would SEEM that way, Rich. See my post under the Topamax thread to hear what the docs said - or rather, what little info I found out. Best, Bonnie

Going to see a gynocologist next week as I am now having some cramping in the ab area as well. Walk-in doc suggested this and when I spoke to the nurse at the gyno office, she said I should come in. So we’ll see…

— Begin quote from “bcrelief”

Yes, it would SEEM that way, Rich. See my post under the Topamax thread to hear what the docs said - or rather, what little info I found out. Best, Bonnie

— End quote

Na, doesn’t seem like a kidney stone. My friend unfortunately has them recurring and I have wittnessed him in the middle of an attack. He looks like he is going to die, and the pain is absolute AGONY!! I honestly believe this is something else. Here is your sure-fire way of diagnosing it. Just go get an ultrasound. Why they didn’t do this already is beyond me but an ultrasound of your kidneys will show for sure weather or not you have stones. then let us know.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Yeah, that’s what I meant - that it seems to be the case that it is NOT a kidney stone, but I never believe anything anymore 100% with all the weird health problems I have. I am seeing my gynocologist next week and they may very well do an ultrasound for other reasons, so maybe I can convince them to turn me over and check the kidneys too! :lol: